EU Tells Internet Archive That Much Of Its Site Is 'Terrorist Content'

Alpha1

Administrator
We've been trying to explain for the past few months just how absolutely insane the new EU Terrorist Content Regulation will be for the internet. Among many other bad provisions, the big one is that it would require content removal within one hour as long as any "competent authority" within the EU sends a notice of content being designated as "terrorist" content. The law is set for a vote in the EU Parliament just next week.

And as if they were attempting to show just how absolutely insane the law would be for the internet, multiple European agencies (we can debate if they're "competent") decided to send over 500 totally bogus takedown demands to the Internet Archive last week, claiming it was hosting terrorist propaganda content.

In the past week, the Internet Archive has received a series of email notices from Europol’s European Union Internet Referral Unit (EU IRU) falsely identifying hundreds of URLs on archive.org as “terrorist propaganda”. At least one of these mistaken URLs was also identified as terrorist content in a separate take down notice from the French government’s L’Office Central de Lutte contre la Criminalité liée aux Technologies de l’Information et de la Communication (OCLCTIC).

Read the rest of this insane story here:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ive-that-much-site-is-terrorist-content.shtml

This article is particularly relevant because the EU commission just approved the directive on terrorist/abusive content.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
nudity is the only thing the EU has done right.. in the US you can watch someone be dismembered or gutted on TV but if a women's nipple pops out it’s a travesty

other than that one thing.... US>EU

Alpha1

Administrator
I can think of more things like a US legal system that allows lawsuits over the most ridiculous things. Part of the educational system is of really low quality in the US. There are plenty of things that are better in the US. And vice versa. I'm not sure whether your political system is more insane than ours lol. And on the topic of this thread: politicians in US and the US all execute bizarre fails. I'm sure that you can think of a few in your own country. Maybe its just the enemy you know. Well sometimes.

overcast

Adherent
EU has gone full on communist mode dictating what to do and what not do do. I hope that all the countries in the EU disband and get their own identity back. EU is turning out to be pretty conservative place than any other places out there.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Your best hope is they wage war on us again and we kick their asses all the way back home to the queen, then you can have a revolution

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
EU has gone full on communist mode dictating what to do and what not do do. I hope that all the countries in the EU disband and get their own identity back. EU is turning out to be pretty conservative place than any other places out there.
Quite a few countries in the EU are pretty crazy too. Spain with it's link ban, Nanny State UK, etc. but the EU as an single entity is probably the biggest collection of pure concentrated incompetence that I have ever seen.

At the very least, it would reduce the damage that is done.