EU bans hate video in next step against online platforms

R0binHood

Habitué
Just had an ad play when trying to listen to the radio online and it's was part of a new UK Nationwide Hate Crime campaign.

It's trying to promote that various types of verbal, online or physical abuse is an offence.

A new nationwide hate crime campaign aimed at increasing awareness and understanding of what constitutes a hate crime has been launched by the government. The campaign has been developed in consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), the Independent Advisory Group on Hate Crime and other organisations, to help the public understand hate crime, particularly offences which often people do not recognise as criminal, such as some forms of online and verbal abuse. If you target anyone with verbal, online or physical abuse because of their religion, race, sexual orientation, disability or transgender identity – you may be committing a #HateCrime.

It’s not just offensive. It’s an offence.

Find out more information now; https://www.gov.uk/government/news/go...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-launches-new-national-hate-crime-awareness-campaign

Morrigan

I put the Cute in Exe"cute".
So I ended up not reading half of the posts in this thread so please excuse me. I so abhorrently disagreed on some points that they made me nearly physically angry.

Hate speech? It's all subjective. I don't know of a single person that can say that "hate speech" is objective or even always directed at them. If they think that it is always directed at them then they are a perpetual victim and there is nothing you can do.

Hate speech is the means to belittle or harm someone else intentionally by using words that are knowingly harmful in a way that is also harmful. "You're fat... you're never going to lose weight and you should just give up and start... XYZ" I used XYZ because there are a few answers and I don't want to trigger people.

Hate speech in general isn't actually bad. It is the start of a conversation.

I have a teenager. She is adorable and amazing but she's at that point in her life where even the most benign comment is considered "hate speech". Hell talking about the fact that she is growing tits is a point of contention between herself and I. Some of her more frustrating days are because people say or are generally "hate speechy" to her. The reason she's able to sluff it off is because I talk to her and I help her grow instead of letting that garbage weigh her down.

I think, honestly, a lot of that stuff is because we don't take that time. We aren't the reality check. We should be. We should be the reason that this whole garbage mess of "hate speak" means nothing. My daughter gets hurt feelings, she talks to me and I reassure her that the hot garbage of hate speak is literally just that. At the end of the day I can only come back to the playground rhyme....

Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you.

While partly incorrect, words do hurt, they don't hurt as much if you understand them.

Lala

Participant
I want to share how such laws impact our community, to illustrate one of the practical aspects of this "hate speech" and "violent / harmful content" issue.

We're a support group for abuse survivors, people who have been beaten, raped, neglected, or abused in some other way, either in childhood or in adulthood. That's about 15-40% of humanity, depending on how you count. This type of trauma often leaves a lasting impact, e.g. nightmares, thoughts of suicide, substance abuse, etc. The site serves as a platform for survivors to talk about these issues anonymously and privately, and as a collection of various resources accessible to both members and guests: victims, family members, hotline volunteers, etc. There's no graphic, gory, or mature content; no hatred towards anyone; no social justice. I wouldn't say the site is child-friendly - because no child should ever need such a resource - but abused children exist and sometimes land on our pages while searching for help; we keep this in mind. The site has been around for eleven years, top Alexa rank for our niche. We don't host ads and don't accept donations, the site is run by and paid for by volunteers.

We regularly get hit by all these "hate speech" and "violent content" policies, because most of our pages include words like "abuse," "rape," "violence," "suicide," or other such. It may sound like a temporary/fixable glitch, but we've been battling this issue for a decade and it's only getting worse. Recently I received an email from a director of a domestic violence shelter in Scandinavia. She wanted permission to include our URL on paper flyers she is handing out to her clients. She feels they could benefit from materials on our site - but can't link to us because that would be promoting violent content and her shelter would lose state funding or whatever it's called in Europe. So she's printing out flyers with our URL on them.

I think EU is shooting itself in the foot with these laws.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I've seen this so many times. Censorship laws that harm the very people they are supposed to protect while failing to silence those with bad intentions.

we_are_borg

Administrator
I've seen this so many times. Censorship laws that harm the very people they are supposed to protect while failing to silence those with bad intentions.

Yes good laws can be bad if it protects the wrong persons, but it's the people's fault to because we do not say enough is enough to the legislators.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Yes good laws can be bad if it protects the wrong persons, but it's the people's fault to because we do not say enough is enough to the legislators.

I think the UK (the people not the parliament) made their feelings clear in that regard by voting to leave the EU. It's using a sledge hammer to crack a nut but ironically that's the only way we feel we can have any influence, which is to have none at all.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Well for me the Netherlands can leave the EU as well. Its to big for its own good better slow then fast but the EU want more and more in the EU and there not ready economically and law wise.

sanction9

Enthusiast
Well for me the Netherlands can leave the EU as well. Its to big for its own good better slow then fast but the EU want more and more in the EU and there not ready economically and law wise.
Right. Who knows how many more sweeping changes the they're going to try to make over the next couple of years to gain control of the internet and through it the world. They're definitely on a roll.

Last edited:

Zero Numbers

Adherent
It's not until something affects them directly do people care.

Right. Who knows how many more sweeping changes the they're going to try to make over the next couple of years to gain control of the internet and through it the world. They're definitely on a roll.

We're almost in the 2020s and this world is getting crazier and crazier.

R0binHood

Habitué
Join your local Hall of Justice today and Justice will be served!

Coming soon to a city near you.

This post was sponsored by The Ministry of Truth

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I agree completely. We should never agree to allow laws that curtail our right to voice ideas and opinions. That said, I disagree with the notion that all you need to fight hateful free speech is more free speech. That hasn't proven effective, which is why governments are looking at such laws as this.

The answer, in my opinion, isn't easy or cheap. The only real weapon that will successfully combat the type of content hate groups and terrorist groups are using is education. Well educated populations are far less susceptible to that kind of influence and manipulation. Rather than making the stupid, hateful things people say to each other online illegal, countries should spend resources ensuring people have the knowledge to think critically and rationally. They can start by improving the quality of the public school curriculum. They can take away barriers to post-secondary education by reducing or eliminating fees. There's little point in defending free speech when the population is increasingly unable to comprehend what is being said.
Better mental health care and perhaps standards of living may help.

overcast

Adherent
Sounds like EU is going like china and DPRK. It all starts from banning opposite opinion.