Essential MODs for phpBB?

CrazyTech

Enthusiast
Anyone have some ideas on MODs they'd consider essential for phpBB?

urivil

Neophyte
These are the most important mods:

1. An extension that allows users to express gratitude
2. The "board" extension, with which you can announce announcements
3. Advertising plugin

\o/

an oddity
My favorite mod for phpBB is the one where you actually use a different board system ...

Anyway, "my" phpBB required quite a bunch of anti-spam plug-ins. The built-in Captcha mechanism is far from being enough to stop spammers. Looks like they are specialized in spamming phpBB boards. :mad:

CrazyTech

Enthusiast
Well, in the past I might have taken that \o/, but I've had better luck avoiding spam with phpBB over MyBB.

dihep

Participant
Cash mod is almost a MUST. It's a feature that you can do basically anything you want with it to 'promote' and 'encourage' your forum and members.

JQP

Dork
Extensions we use - most are to bring it up to what other boards do out of the box:

Board Announcements
Board Rules
phpBB Media Embed
Quick Login
Simple Mentions
Topic Preview
Advanced BBCode Box

Quick Reply Reloaded is also a good one but the Extensions Manager isn't recognizing the current version for some reason. I haven't figured out why.
And a WYSIWYG editor would be great if anyone can recommend one that isn't buggy.
I hard-code ads and Google Analytics but we don't have premium memberships. Otherwise we'd probably use the Ad Management plug-in.

As far as spam, we put new members on moderated posting for their first few posts. No big deal for the mods and it catches 99% of them.