ElkArte has gone stable

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
Almost 2 years has passed since work began on ElkArte, a first class FOSS forum program built with many exciting features. Countless hours of work and support have been applied to the project, together with extremely valuable input and feedback from our helpful and constructive community, have resulted in a product of which we are extremely proud.

Today, twenty two months after we began, we are ready to declare ElkArte 1.0.0 (codename: Wombat) stable and ready for deployment to production websites.

We extend our sincere thanks to all those who have dedicated their time, effort and money to help ElkArte reach this day. That means all those who have answered questions, written add-ons, translated text, designed themes, modified templates, reported bugs, submitted patches or written tutorials. Thank you all.

We have much more we still want to accomplish and some code for ElkArte 1.1 has already been written. We are eager to continue its development. This is an exciting time for ElkArte, and we are glad to have you with us.

The following is a list of some of the features you will find in ElkArte:

• Clean modern theme using HTML5/CSS3 with two variants and a responsive design
  • Like system for posts
  • User Mentions, @mention a user in a post to send an alert to them
  • Respond to PM's and Posts with email (post by email)
  • Built in video embedding for you-tube, vimeo and dailymotion
  • Auto minification and combining of CSS and JS files to save bandwidth and requests
  • Drag and drop file attachment
  • SCEditor (a A lightweight WYSIWYG editor)
  • Quote Splitting in regular editor (ctrl+enter)
  • Drafts for PM's and posts
  • Bad Behavior anti spam built in
  • BBC Footnotes
  • BBC Spoilers
  • Many areas now respond with Ajax (no extra page loads)
  • Drag and drop ordering for smileys, message icons, board order, profile fields and more
  • Improved password ciphers (increased security)
  • Code refactored to MVC standards and use of basic OOP (and more to come in the next releases!)
  • Template cleanup for improved layout consistency (with more to come in future releases)
  • Basic PM searching and ability to mark PM's unread
  • Many others are available, we encourage you to Download and install ElkArte in order to discover all of them

Source

haqzore

Devotee
i wish i had about 5-6 good site ideas to try out different software :/

IntoxNitram

Enthusiast
Looks good. My only worry with things like this is I feel I'm stuck with that platform unless I pay someone loads of money to do a custom convert. Had that issue with esoTalk and was quoted $75 per 1000 posts to convert to mybb.

Xambo

Enthusiast
They need to make a conversion tool? (MyBB and other major softwares)

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
upload_2014-9-8_9-44-14.png

Is this home page made with the community software ?
Is it generated with the same editor that is used in the forums ? or is it a custom HTML page ?

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
You can use simple portal add on to make one.

AllanD

Habitué
I think it also has a bright future, I have it use as well and I like the changes they made to move away from just being a fork.

Russ

Administrator
Installed it on our test site a few months ago and was pretty cool. Limited in certain things I'm use too but we'll have another look at it.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
Installed it on our test site a few months ago and was pretty cool. Limited in certain things I'm use too but we'll have another look at it.

Can we expect an ElkArte theme from you Pixel Exit ? I loved Flat Awesome and Casual.

Russ

Administrator
Can we expect an ElkArte theme from you Pixel Exit ? I loved Flat Awesome and Casual.

Hah learning a new system is difficult, I checked the styling system on it before and while it was simple and easy to use it'll be awhile before anything like that :D.