ElkArte gone?

AllanD

Habitué
Sorry for double post but looks like they are still going to be around. Posted this right from the site.

We are attempting to install an early Beta version for ElkArte 2.0. Its not intended for production sites so do not do this to yurs. There will be bugs and problems .. news will be posted once we're back!

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
the only people who care are old-school, die-hard, 62-year old self-proclaimed crusty former SMF users who want to hang onto this project out of a sense of nostalgia.
Owww! Words can hurt, you know.

I prefer to think of myself as a curmudgeon rather than crusty, thank you, and while I have used SMF in the past, I have no sense of nostalgia towards it (probably my failing memory). I do quite like Elkarte, though. It's simple, clean, and fast. It does one thing and does it quite well.

While I appreciate all the advances in something like Invision, I also find the weakest part of that software is the actual forum. Without all the extra stuff included, it would be a pretty sub-par offering. For a lot of hobbyists and even some commercial applications, all that's really needed is a basic forum that does what it says on the tin. It would be a great shame to lose such a good (and free) example of that.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Especially as there are things in ElkArte that I don't think _any_ of the other free offerings have out of the box.

zappaDPJ

Does anyone even care about the shop, or visit the shop, or is actively using the shop's products?

When you have no visitors, do you need a shop window? Isn't it time to ... close up shop?

Some of you guys are rather obstinate in trying to keep a niche project alive, when quite frankly, it seems like the only people who care are old-school, die-hard, 62-year old self-proclaimed crusty former SMF users who want to hang onto this project out of a sense of nostalgia. :)

While I'm happy to be thought of as old, crusty or anything similar for that matter, the same could be said for the majority of large, active forums. Here are a few example still running on SMF and phpBB...

The same can be said for prehistoric versions of vBulletin...

I could list many more, hundreds in fact but you get the idea. ElkArte may be a niche project but all of the above had similar origins and they still trounce the new shiny forum offerings in terms of installation numbers and activity levels. The interesting question is why :)

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Break-away project from SMF after some shenanigans happened a few years ago.

Trekkie101

Developer
The SSL cert had expired.

Elk 2.0 has some cool stuff.

It's mobile friendly, has emoji's built in, has a dark mode, can be colour customised rather easily with _custom.css all thats needed.

With its mentions + drafts. It's got quite a decent feature set.

Jason5

Adherent
The SSL cert had expired.

Elk 2.0 has some cool stuff.

It's mobile friendly, has emoji's built in, has a dark mode, can be colour customised rather easily with _custom.css all thats needed.

With its mentions + drafts. It's got quite a decent feature set.
Great, hope they fix the SSL