ElkArte 1.1 spotted!

emanuele

Bugs Developer
After 3 years of development (and that's a bit more than expected... actually quite a bit), finally ElkArte 1.1 is out and "stable"!! (Whatever that means. lol)

As you would expect from a minor update there were no big overhauls (though we let ourselves run a little wild in a couple of cases or three :p).
Among the most relevant:
* inline attachments
* better notification system along with desktop notifications
* updated editor
* jQuery3
* basic email bounce detection
* themes improvements and simplification
* many more things

Well, that one is now gone, time to start working on 1.1.1 (adding images-proxy for better https support) and 2.0 (and here we can start again running wild! :p).

Full announcement:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=4712.0

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Cool, nice to see some progress here.

Danielx64

Developer
Could someone please tell me about this basic email bounce detection feature and how it would it work? I guess that the forum script would talk to mail server?

we_are_borg

Administrator
Could someone please tell me about this basic email bounce detection feature and how it would it work? I guess that the forum script would talk to mail server?

The script has access to the account and mailserver where bounced emails come in, after that you read the emails what status they have and act on that. If its because emailbox does not exsist the script makes the user need to confirm/set new email address. So the different warnings get different responces.

Danielx64

Developer
The script has access to the account and mailserver where bounced emails come in, after that you read the emails what status they have and act on that. If its because emailbox does not exsist the script makes the user need to confirm/set new email address. So the different warnings get different responces.
Thank you, I am going to download the package and see how it done :) I like the idea :)

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
It ultimately relies on having the mail system set up to pipe it to PHP so PHP can examine it - also how the 'post by email' stuff works. Neat but unfortunately not necessarily easy to deploy anywhere :(

Jason5

Adherent
Wow, good the see a great growth for Elkarte. Keep developing :)

emanuele

Bugs Developer
Cool, nice to see some progress here.
We try to keep up. :)
This round we lost a bit the road and basically doubled the expected time for the release, but... well, it happens. :p

Yep, it requires php to access the mailserver (through IMAP), and read the emails in the account. Then when a new email arrives, it is checked and there is a header info and if detects (like for post-by-email), then the emails are read and processed to identify either new posts/PMs or "DSN" (bounce). <= Looks almost like I know what I'm talking about, but I didn't write any of this code, so I'm just telling you what I read somewhere in Email_Parse. :p

radu81

Fan
Congrats to elkarte team!
It took 3 years to see this version released, but we should mention that in this time version 1.0.x received updates and also new features in the core, the first one come to my mind is the automatic rotation of attached images.

Vekseid

Participant
A few new features got pushed to 1.1.1/2 as well, though they are comparatively minor.

Working up the gusto to bring my 14 million post SMF forum over to this.

emanuele

Bugs Developer
Yep, 1.1.1 will fix a few (more than expected) bugs found in 1.1.0, then in 1.1.2 at least the image proxy will be added (that was left out because discussed only when already in beta).