Editing VB 3.8 posts/blogs lead to clueless 500 error for long text...

HallofFamer

Habitué
It seems that recently my VB 3.8 is having a weird issue, that whenever I try to create or edit a post/blog that has a very long text, it will simply lead to a 500 server error. The worst part of it is that, the error is not logged. I tried to look up the error_log file, no result. I tried to look up the apache log file too, and no result. Tried to turn on debugging from config, no result either.

The only clue I have, is that long posts have images in tags and cannot be displayed properly, tried to dig up potential issues with BB code but cant find anything either. Also the error only occurs if the text of a post/blog is long enough, for posts with fewer characters it works fine...

I am completely out of idea what could be the cause of this, and I wonder if anyone experienced the same problem before? And if so, how did you fix it?

Paul M

Dr Pepper Addict
I have never encounted such a thing.

A 500 error is a server error, so it must be getting logged somewhere, unless you somehow disabled all your logging.

Hostboard

Aspirant
I would also look at trying to disable all your plugins and work with a vanilla VB install.

In your config un-remark:
Code:
// define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

feldon30

Adherent
I wonder if the Blog is using $_GET instead of $_POST and running up against character limits. In Apache, the default maximum length for URI characters is 8190 characters. A workaround would be to increase the LimitRequestLine and LimitRequestFieldSize directives.

HallofFamer

Habitué
Well I am not getting 500 errors now, managed to fix something on my server/forum. However, the issue persists that longer posts/blogs fail to display images and other bb code(they will just show up inside tags, not converted to actual UI element).

Interestingly, images will show up fine from the editor when I attempt to update the post/blog, just it will not display after saving the post/blog(it will simply show the image url in bb code format). Not sure if this is a VB related issue, also curious if anyone else is experiencing same problem.