dual AMD proc motherboards

revolution

Aspirant
Anyone have any recommendations on them? So far ive looked at the Asus A7M266-D, and the Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466). Im having Vcore voltage issues with my exsiting single proc Asus board and its time for a replacement. I have 4 AMD MP 1800+ and 4 512mb PC2100 DDR ECC RAM that someone gave me a couple of months ago that i'd to go ahead and use.

motherboard problems make me :cookoo:

A

AWS

The current dual AMD scene is changing. You might want to sell what you have and go with the new line of dual AMD.

If you want to stay with what you have get a Tyan Thunder K7. Stay away from the Tiger. There is a problem with the molex connector melting under load. Something to do with an under volt condition that causes a spike to melt it.
Keep in mind performance of a dual AMD isn't any better than with a single P4E with HT enabled. If you can wait go with dual Opterons or even a single Clawhammer. They would outperform what you have and you can get them with 1 meg l2 cache.

Shorty

Aspirant
My first comment would be.. "sell them and buy dual opteron".. ;) .. but...

I have a pair of 2100+ MP's in a MSI K7D Master-L. That's a top notch dualie board.

http://www.digiconcepts.com/msi_motherboards_58.htm

Very stable.. more so than the ASUS you linked too... which is a good board. Doesn't require registered DDR and can utilise a 64bit/66mhz PCI card (eg... one of those monster SCSI RAID cards.. LSI MegaRaid :D).. depends on your planned usage.

Anyway.. Opteron.. :worship:

floris

Habitué
AWS said:
The current dual AMD scene is changing. You might want to sell what you have and go with the new line of dual AMD.

If you want to stay with what you have get a Tyan Thunder K7. Stay away from the Tiger. There is a problem with the molex connector melting under load. Something to do with an under volt condition that causes a spike to melt it.
Keep in mind performance of a dual AMD isn't any better than with a single P4E with HT enabled. If you can wait go with dual Opterons or even a single Clawhammer. They would outperform what you have and you can get them with 1 meg l2 cache.
I second that.

I am quite disappointed with the offordable dual amd setups. I changed to single p4e and even dual, and noticed quite an improvement. For just a small price raise.

Definitly worth upgrading to dual pentium, over dual amd. Speaking out of experience with a budget.

Snowy

Aspirant
I have just prchased a AMD XP3200+ (Barton) and i must say i am more than happy with it.