Don't be a Control Freak

Cory

Enthusiast
Cory submitted a new Article:

Don't be a Control Freak

Now what's the first thing that may come into your mind when you think of the word, "[ame=[URL]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Acontrol+freak&btnG=Google+Search]control[/URL] freak[/ame]"? One that has a great desire for power, one who may have a great obsession for power, one who will greed over power? When you go into the comparison, control freak and power will relate together very well. In fact, not only the comparison but the likely, to be abused thoughts that come into mind of being in power may make you a control freak when it come's to a point.

If you are the admin, or even a staff member of any board you do have more power than members, correct? Yes, in most cases you will. This power gives you more authority over members, which is abused by many on any board you may find. In this article I will explain to you why power in certain areas is a privilege and should not be abused at any cost.

Why shall I come and explore this board? Why shall I join? What are the benefits that I have by joining this board? Will I be able to put into discussion something I enjoy? Some of these thoughts may come to your mind when viewing a board, and taking into examination, you may or may not consider joining.

A thought that comes into my mind, is very well thought of by others as well, I assure you. This very thought brings me to very much examination of a board; which would be the staff. The staff, the ones you have more authority over us, the one's that are there to help us, the one's that keep the board under control, following by many other aspects; in all the staff are here for us.

Do these staff do what they are required to, or encouraged to do? This all begins with the admin; is the admin putting into consideration the proper actions that should be taken as the owner of the board? Yes and no, it varies, it all depends on who the admin is. Is this admin responsible, does he or she treat everyone equally with respect? You, as the board owner will need to take very much consideration into you board, and foremost pleasing your members.

If you are going to open up your own board and plan on controlling it, it is strongly suggested as I would see it that you will need to be fair with everyone, be respectful, keep the board under control as intended, be responsible, be civilized, and the many more aspects that would please your members.

If you, as the admin, or even as a staff member abuse your power, that should only be...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mephisto

Pharaoh
Excelent article :thumb:

curious, i rarely see a board where staff members are "control freaks", but more where the staff is so passive and allow all members to do whatever they want regardless the rules :Order: what you can find along the net :D

Cory

Enthusiast
I don't see staff members acting as control freaks constantly, but very often to know how they act and abuse their power. For instance, I use InvisionFree, and I've been using it for about two years now, which is likely that many boards are ran by younger one's, around teen years really. Not that I am saying younger one's are the one's to likely abuse their power, as adults can do just the same. It all depends on the person. Some of the larger sized boards, when it comes to post's and members tend to abuse their power from what I've seen in the past, or it's maybe the fact that they are widely focused on from being that of a larger board, which will gain more traffic, and have many more views.

But if it comes down to being 'bigger', in terms of post's and members in no way does it make you better. Quality over quantity. I have said it once, I will say it again. The content is truly what the member's should look into when joining a board, ecspecially the quality of that content.

democracy

Participant
The points made here are very worthy of consideration.

Especially since the Internet is market driven.

Supply and Demand is the most influential factor.

At one time there were few message boards and much demand.

Now the supply of message boards exceeds the demand so all administrators are competing for members.

There is not an endless supply of members to serve as interchangeable or dispensible parts.

This fact of Supply and Demand is going to greatly affect the next phase of Web Community development.

Faby

Enthusiast
This article is one of the best I read on this forum, but sincerely, up to this moment I never seen any forum with a "control freak" admin or moderators.

comperr

Master Admin
Faby said:
This article is one of the best I read on this forum, but sincerely, up to this moment I never seen any forum with a "control freak" admin or moderators.

I have. There was once a debate forum, where the admin would delete any posts that disagreed with there point of view.
It is now gone to to him/her not reading this article.

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
democracy said:
The points made here are very worthy of consideration.

Especially since the Internet is market driven.

Supply and Demand is the most influential factor.

At one time there were few message boards and much demand.

Now the supply of message boards exceeds the demand so all administrators are competing for members.

There is not an endless supply of members to serve as interchangeable or dispensible parts.

This fact of Supply and Demand is going to greatly affect the next phase of Web Community development.
I agree completely. It's a tough task to try to find a real niche and then become the best in it.

democracy

Participant
Wes of StarArmy said:
I agree completely. It's a tough task to try to find a real niche and then become the best in it.

It's going to be harder to get members.

The administartors that are going to retain membership are either those that compensate their members as empoyees of their "business" or give control of the community to the members.

What other motivation is there? Money and Power are about the biggest motivators there are.

Administrators who are motivated by the "This is mine" philosophy should consider that your members will not remain faithful to your forum when democratic forums begin flourishing.

The democratic forum will attract members because the members can say "This is mine".

It will also attract the best members because it will promote those members positively.

PapillionPurple

Habitué
If the way of TAZ and so many other forums is so deplorable, then why exactly is it so sucessful on so many levels?
Why does a member want to own a forum and why would a member who wants to "own" a forum be one of the "best members"?
And would wanting to be able to say "this is mine" not be classed as a desire for control over the forum? control that may not be governed by reason or learning and which may contravene rules and or the feelings of other members?

Adherent
I have stated in my rules not to do any advertizing, however i have a member that gave 2 links to her 2 different websites, that doesn't relate to my site really, and the rules are posted . My first reaction was to edit her post and delete her links, but then i thought i have just started my site, i need members and she wanted to intruduce herself this way.
Should i follow my rules and edit, or just let it slide, but then i have to be fair to others.
How should i act ?

comperr

Master Admin
let it slide, but PM him/her at let the person know of you rules politly.
After a while edit his/her post when she has enuoph other posts

democracy

Participant
dreamerinexile said:
If the way of TAZ and so many other forums is so deplorable, then why exactly is it so sucessful on so many levels?
Why does a member want to own a forum and why would a member who wants to "own" a forum be one of the "best members"?
And would wanting to be able to say "this is mine" not be classed as a desire for control over the forum? control that may not be governed by reason or learning and which may contravene rules and or the feelings of other members?

You have to have a background of experience with traditional organizational principles in order to understand the fundamentals of what I am saying.

If the past generation was schooled in computer sciences and technology at the expense of getting an education in the basic principles of democratic communication and leadership then what I say will not compute with you.

The first phase of the web community development naturally involved the technicians who invented it. But in order to promote it ', it was expedient to attract artists, writers, musicians and thinkers in the Liberal Arts.

The next phase of development will be led by those kinds of thinkers and those kinds of thinkers will naturally gravitate to the traditions that they guard. Those are the Democratic Arts.

I suggest that you get involved with a local chapter of an national organization. GreenPeace, N.O.W., or the Republican or Democratic or any other political party organization. By involving yourself you can learn the structure of a typical traditional American form.

Then you will have an understanding of the basics.

The Internet is due to gravitate towards variations on this traditional form.