Domain name advice

DaveL

Habitué
Always the worst part I find is trying to get the right domain name, espeically when the one you want isn't available!

I know it's risky posting the actual domain names,, but hey ho! What would you go for?

xlights-sequences.com
xlightssequences.net

Or if you can think of any better alternatives that would be great!

Nabix

DaveL I would say the .com is better. Only because at first glance It's easier to read. However, both are quite long. I try to keep all my domains under 12 characters, regardless of the TLD.

DaveL

Habitué
DaveL I would say the .com is better. Only because at first glance It's easier to read. However, both are quite long. I try to keep all my domains under 12 characters, regardless of the TLD.

Been trying pretty hard to find a shorter domain that shows what the site will do, however not got much joy. In this field, most of the domains companies use are pretty long.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
DaveL

I maybe barking up the wrong tree but if your domain suggestions are representative of what I think you are looking for there's a far better short dot com (no hyphen) available for less than the cost of a peanut. I'm not going to list it here but feel free to send me a message.

HighlanderICT

Neophyte
.com for me always ... unless your target audience is specific to another country with its own top level domain (eg .ca or .co.uk etc. )

Only other thing I can suggest - and I have done this on a few sites when the name is too long - is to buy a domain that's descriptive for your situation and make that the main URL, but also buy a short form or acronym version of the name too. For example I own a soccer blog/photo site called ViewFromTheSouthStands.com but in casual conversation I tell people to go to vftss.com which simply redirects to that parent URL. Its an additional $9 per year to have the extra domain registered and for me, the digital equivalent of an 'elevator speech' when trying to convey something quickly.

cdub24

Enthusiast
Domain names honestly don't mean too much anymore in terms of SEO.

It's all about the content.

SaN-DeeP

TechArena.IN
Always the worst part I find is trying to get the right domain name, espeically when the one you want isn't available!

I know it's risky posting the actual domain names,, but hey ho! What would you go for?

xlights-sequences.com
xlightssequences.net

Both are too long to type at one go..
I will stick with a short name max 8 alphabets if possible and .com
(If .com is already taken do not go for .net)

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master

xlights-sequences.com
xlightssequences.net

That would be a hard one for me! Two things I don't like about domains like that... hyphens because they're hard to remember and and ending of a word with the same letter that begins the next word. Weird pet peeve but it has always bugged me.

DaveL

Habitué
So far so good. 637 members now.
Posting activity isn't much to write home about - However it's all about the resources added to the Resource Manger, which seems to be going great and drawing people in.

southernlady

Devotee
There are times when a .com isn’t useful. I did buy the .com and .net to go with mine but mine is a .org.