Do you run beta software?

cheat_master30

Fanatic
For your forums? Or do you stick with the 'gold' versions instead?

Personally, I've always upgraded to the beta and release candidate versions myself. Feels fun to experiment with new software, and for the most part, I think getting the new features early is more important for the community than worrying about a few stability issues or bugs.

But what about you? Do you run beta (and release candidate) versions on your sites?

zappaDPJ

I used to backup and upgrade to anything vBulletin released. Then came vBulletin 4 from which I learnt to never upgrade at all unless there was a compelling reason to do so. I'm especially suspicious of anything labelled 'gold' which still sends a shiver down my spine :cautious:

lurkalot

Adherent
Tend to only run beta on test sites, either locally or live when they reach certain point of stability. Don't want my host shutting me down. lol..
I do run beta addons though, but only the one we develop, again when it gets to a certain point where its not going to cause major problems.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
i always run the latest version even if its beta

however i wait for a little bit to see if anyone else has upgraded and see if the room is on fire

it dont pay to be that first guy to find a Catastrophic failure

been there done that

Ran a beta version of a ......“delete all topics that are 30 days old that have no replies ever” addon

and it deleted every post on my site

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Unless I am personally asked to try out and evaluate a beta version, I wait for the standard releases. If I were to try a beta version out of curiosity, it would be on my local server only.

R0binHood

Habitué
I always run the latest available version to download on my live sites.

If it breaks my sites I just blame the devs. I mean, why would they release software that's not ready for us to use on our sites? That would make no sense, so obvs their fault.

kolakube

Participant
I only run beta software if its my own. :D From those experiences I've learned it's best to wait for the full release, or the first after bug fix release.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
I always run the latest available version to download on my live sites.

If it breaks my sites I just blame the devs. I mean, why would they release software that's not ready for us to use on our sites? That would make no sense, so obvs their fault.

+1 I always blame the hammer manufacturer when i hit my thumb, if they never made the hammer it wouldn't have happened

doubt

Tazmanian
+1 I always blame the hammer manufacturer when i hit my thumb, if they never made the hammer it wouldn't have happened
I would blame their parents because if they never...;)

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
For live websites? Never, we crave stability and a predictable experience.

Note I'm not personally averse to the idea, but only for non-essential instances its preferable to experience in realworld conditions.

Banxix

Enthusiast
I look carefully at the bug tracker to decide whether a beta version is ready to run. But it depends on size of my sites because we usually have many websites.
For large to larger sites, I will not run beta version, but if the beta is stable at some point I would run it on a smaller site.
Sometime you just don't want to wait more.

I run multiple sites, so I sometimes test it on a separate path (e.g. site.com/XF21Board), and sometimes, I upgrade my smaller board to the latest beta software - but that's only when I know that we're close to stable state. Beta 4 to 6 is the highest that I've ever put beta software on live board.
I used to backup and upgrade to anything vBulletin released. Then came vBulletin 4 from which I learnt to never upgrade at all unless there was a compelling reason to do so. I'm especially suspicious of anything labelled 'gold' which still sends a shiver down my spine :cautious:
*laughs at vBulletin* Ha ha!

(Same experience, BTW.)

Morrigan

I put the Cute in Exe"cute".
I shamelessly run live betas on my site. I actually have a post in my site information that specifically dictates that I do for member's edification. I know that I have members that can break even the most stable of releases so I prefer to have them have a go at it. I've found some really obscure bugs that way plus I get all the new goodies faster!

maksim

Serial Entrepreneur
Hah, forget beta! I generally wait for any major version to have a few updates before installing it. With a live money site... the last thing you want is the forum going down over errors in coding... or god forbid an overlooked security hole.

CarpCharacin

Habitué
I've used beta software on live sites in the past, but now I usually wait for the stable version to be released, and it usually takes longer for add-ons to be updated to work with the new version of the software anyway.

Dan18

Fan
I'm using XF 2.1 Beta 5 now on my New Install Forum ;).
With 11 3rd party addons, working great so far :D.

Last edited: