Do you love your control panel?

Nabix

I have some questions about your server's control panel (if you use one that is).

Which panel do you use and why?
Would you not use a web host because they don't offer big brands like cPanel or Plesk?

I personally use Plesk, but now I'm considering switching over to ISPmanager to save some cost. I notice that the majority of web hosts offer cPanel as the control panel. But I'm wondering how important that really is. Yes, cPanel is easy to navigate, especially for new web admins. But, there are other control panels out there that are just as simple if not more simple to use.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
I've used Dreamhost for years now. They're control panel is very in-house and easy to use.

But when I used other hosting services, I enjoyed cPanel more than Plesk myself.

But I'm so used to Dreamhost, I'd probably be lost for a little while before I got used to it.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I’m not enjoying cPanel as much as I used to with their new “Glass” theme. It feels… unfinished.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I also use cPanel and like Pete I don't like the new theme at all. It feels half baked and I can't seem to find anything.

\o/

an oddity
Which panel do you use and why?

ssh. ;)

For one simple reason: For internet-facing computers ("servers"), I absolutely need to understand what they do and why. If they misbehave because of a wonky automatic configuration mechanism, I would be the one who's (legally) responsible. Not the "control panel"'s vendor. I, myself. And I won't take any risks here.

And yes, I "love" this "panel".

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I'm using siteground, their panel and service is top notch.
I recently encountered Siteground for the first time and was all 'where is anything', but I think the most embarrassing part is the SSH details menu confused me such that I thought the 'SSH details' menu item itself was a header rather than a clickable item, so I had to contact support to verify how to actually SSH into a server...

Nabix

ssh. ;)

For one simple reason: For internet-facing computers ("servers"), I absolutely need to understand what they do and why. If they misbehave because of a wonky automatic configuration mechanism, I would be the one who's (legally) responsible. Not the "control panel"'s vendor. I, myself. And I won't take any risks here.

And yes, I "love" this "panel".

Nerd...

we_are_borg

Administrator
I use Plesk because it came with the VPS, i like cPanel too but that one is to expensive per month.

Will_Watts

Habitué
I like cPanel, but I think their pricing is a little expensive for solo users.

I'm currently trying out Virtualmin for my VPS - it's not the prettiest, but it's been working okay so far.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I’m not enjoying cPanel as much as I used to with their new “Glass” theme. It feels… unfinished.

I agree. You should be able to set it back to a legacy theme, unless the host has disabled/removed it.

HighlanderICT

Neophyte
I used Dreamhost in the past for shared hosting and their panel was great. Almost went back to them earlier this year but decided not to move in the end. Was happiest on our VPS w/cPanel under Wired Tree for several years. It was great, no issues, easy to use and rock solid. cPanel was continued under Liquid Web until last year when - due to cPanel price increases - I really had no option but to move to the Interworx option from LW.

Think I have got around the 'where is everything' stages and it does most things - possibly even more than - cPanel can do but for the casual user (like me) its quirky, not as user friendly, and less likeable all round. I do have the option to go back to cPanel ... but it costs $$$ per site and as 'hobby hosting' I simply cant justify that.

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
I've used Dreamhost for years now. They're control panel is very in-house and easy to use.

But when I used other hosting services, I enjoyed cPanel more than Plesk myself.

But I'm so used to Dreamhost, I'd probably be lost for a little while before I got used to it.
Same, I didn't really care much for clunky Plesk when I used it on my old host, Startlogic (which I could not recommend due to absolutely rock bottom dangerously and destructively clueless customer tech support service I experienced). But that was years ago. Dreamhost's interface is pretty straightforward and it does what I need and I have shell access to the (VPS) server to do most everything else from the command line.

AdamD

Devotee
When I ran a dedicated or VPS, I just used the lazy option, Cpanel/WHM, it just made things easier, but I also made a point of learning how to lock it down and secure the server with the CSF firewall.

I ran a gaming emulator on a Windows dedicated server once and thought I'd try adding Plesk to it to run the website as well....gah, bad idea.
I never could get that to work properly and it always had some weird issues.

Virtualmin, whilst very plain looking, I found quite a joy to use, I would probably use that if I ever ran a website again.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
You just reminded me, and I've probably posted this before but... many years ago my head admin thought we need more security and took it upon himself to upload a firewall to all the servers in our rack. I don't recall the name of the product but the default state was all ports closed which of course resulted in a total lockout for all our clients and staff.

It cost me dearly to send a technician to the data center to repair the damage but it was worth it for the years of fun we had periodically reminding the admin of his transgression :LOL:

[EDIT] ZoneAlarm, that was the one.

Last edited: