Do I go for a rebrand or not?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Technically this could belong over in the forum software board but I was kind of hoping to have it here where more people might see it.

So, StoryBB... it's a forum software for play-by-post roleplay (which usually means collaborative storytelling rather than sitting around rolling dice at each other in lieu of storytelling)

But while I coined the name a few years ago, I can't help but think the name is dated. I'm also not happy about the logo which I picked up on Fiverr like 4 years ago.

StoryBB.png

I'm not sold on the logo any more, I'm not sold on the name - it made sense at the time, and was better than the other suggestion of SockRPG that was looming.

Since this doesn't materially affect the one site using it, if I want to make a change, now's the time - but I'm running dry on the inspiration tank.

Does it need a rebrand? I think so - but would be happy to be educated otherwise :) I have no strong affiliations with colour schemes or the like yet... just trying to figure out a name...

Thoughts appreciated.

zappaDPJ

The first thought that springs to my mind is to ask if StoryBB has a domain name associated with it?

Pete

I own storybb.org and storybb.com already, have done for a while, but getting a real site using it was actually more important than having a home site at this point in time.

The home community sites for forum softwares do not behave the same as those using the site - xenforo.com/community/ does not behave the same way as a regular install would (not in terms of software but how people use the site), and this would be *more* true for a forum system designed around roleplay.

zappaDPJ

In my view the domains that you have wield a lot of power. They are short, memorable and align with your niche, plus you have the all important .com. It maybe to some that the 'bb' would be reminiscent of a bygone age when people used dial up but more modern thinking would have it as 'a surface intended for the posting of public messages' according to google.

Given the same situation I would climb mountains for that domain but drop the logo from the highest peak. Fiver is great for getting a multitude of good ideas but the execution is usually (but not always) subpar.

Keep the name but get a new logo would be my recommendation.

Mysti

Aspirant
The name StoryBB flows well, is catchy, and is not too long. If I had seen it before and was trying to remember the name, I think it would be fairly easy to remember. It doesn't by itself say that it is an online role-playing forum, but with your tagline it does say exactly what it is.

If you want to rebrand, you could go more descriptive, but the name would be a bit longer. I have two names in mind that could work and are currently available. I will pm them to you.

The logo could definitely use an update. I am not a big fan of the mirrored BB. The ink and feather imply a writer's forum more than a role-player's forum.

Mysti

Aspirant
So, I don't have the ability to PM you. I hate to post the domains publicly in case you might be interested in them. I wouldn't want someone else to get them.

Pete

The thing about toleplaying is that it is writing... whether it's long form of hundreds of words per post, or short form rapid-fire could-almost-be-on-Discord, it's all writing. Even if dice rolling were a feature, it'd still be writing in the middle - that's where the quill and ink idea originally came from.

And it's not, in itself, a roleplaying forum. It's a piece of software others can download and host to do their own roleplaying.

Mysti

Aspirant
Yes, I see the connection with writing. To me, roleplay is writing + acting, but I haven't done role-play so my perception may be incorrect. For me, it would say roleplaying more if you combined the feather-pen and quill with one other thing that implies roleplay. Perhaps a sword, a crown, a dragon, a knight on a rearing horse. Just some ideas.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
First, I say keep the name. It is short, simple, and memorable. It's also generic enough for a software to keep potential customers from pigeon-holing it to one specific purpose.

Second, definitely replace the logo. I don't have any great ideas on what it should be, but here's what I would do. Contact a branding company in your area and talk to them. More importantly, sit down and list out all the terms, and images that come to mind when thinking about your software and how you see it being used. A good branding company should be able to come up with a visual identity that captures those concepts.

It will likely cost you a couple thousand but the results should pay off down the road.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Pete the name is good. It's easy to remember and sticks. As for the logo you could definitely spice it up a bit but it's not bad looking either.

Pete

I saw this story and I’m still confused if it’s real or not - because apparently VW have both confirmed and denied it, claiming it is both real but also an early leaked April Fool’s joke.

Branding is hard, rebranding is harder and I don’t want to screw it up. The RP niche is hard enough to get a dent in as a new platform without doubling down on that.

zappaDPJ

I always feel the visual aspect of a brand is the most important element e.g. I guess most people around the world would recognise the Nike swipe but how many would know that the name refers to the Winged Goddess of Victory.

Having a name that actually reflects the nature of your brand as you have with StoryBB is the icing on the cake but in my view it's importance diminishes over time as the visual aspect of the brand takes precedence in people's minds.

I think the logo you have is a decent concept but I also think it would benefit from an overhaul, perhaps something a little more modern in feel.

R0binHood

Habitué
I guess most people around the world would recognise the Nike swipe but how many would know that the name refers to the Winged Goddess of Victory.
Also, the logo only cost $35 in the 70’s, and was designed by a graphic design student.

User042321

Neophyte
Say someone wanted to go on a new ride only to get there and see the new ride was called Rollercoaster
Not sure if there is people who want to join the site and are wanting to write stories then the name, logo don't really matter

Suppose it depends if people have showed interest in the concept

Pete

Not sure if there is people who want to join the site and are wanting to write stories then the name

StoryBB isn't a place where people go to roleplay, the plan was for it to be a place where people go to get the software to run RP sites themselves. It's a forum software, not an individual site.

Though honestly after recent events featuring one of the premier folks in the RP world spitting a ton of bile at me for making an off-hand comment that wasn't even actually negative, I'm seriously debating closing the project and just keeping it for my own site instead of making it available to everyone.

Said person is even a member here but we won't go there.