DNS Setup On VM

Okoji

Participant
Hello,

I set up a Plesk on a VM from Azure. It is ready for use, but I could not figure out how to set up a DNS.

I have never done this before.

Kindly share details with me if you have an idea.

Thank you.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Errr.... Plesk should have set up the primary DNS entries for you?
As for "how to set up a DNS"... that's not a simple explanation. But the good thing is that Plesk should already have you set for the core DNS service and you simply create your domains like you would on cPanel or any other "control panel" system.

Okoji

Participant
I installed it myself. :) has a chat with someone from plesk and he was telling to install an extension.

I am sure there are ways around it.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Then if Plesk needs an "extension" to manage DNS, I'm pretty sure it needs to be installed. There are sub-systems that have to be ran to perform DNS services, and unless you enable them.... you won't be doing DNS.
Is there a reason you would rather not use the free (and MUCH more efficient and faster replication) CloudFlare DNS services?

Okoji

Participant
The issue here is that I don't even know the options available. And the guy at Plesk wasn't good at explaining what I want to me out getting an extension.

Server will be hosting a few sites and it will tasking to run cloudflare each time we host a domain name there.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Server will be hosting a few sites and it will tasking to run cloudflare each time we host a domain name there.
Are you talking about using a WHM type solution with Plesk instances assigned to users creating their own sites/domains? If so, then yes, it would be a hassle - for them, but still worth it. You see, there are different "versions" of Plesk that I know of.... Web Admin Edition, Web Pro Edition, and Web Host Edition.

Now, if you are talking about simply for you... it's such a "real" hassle.... It's OH such an issue to open a web browser, go to CloudFlare, sign in then manage the domains... hmm... seems like the same thing you have to do with Plesk? Only the CloudFlare DNS replication is MUCH faster than your Plesk solution will be.

Oh, not to mention, by using CloudFlare, you can also use their free tier to your sites benefit.

But.. have fun reading....

And these would be (most likely) the extensions he was referring to.....

It honestly sounds like you've jumped in WAY over your head? How much Linux admin and related network experience do you have?

Okoji

Participant
HI
Are you talking about using a WHM type solution with Plesk instances assigned to users creating their own sites/domains? If so, then yes, it would be a hassle - for them, but still worth it. You see, there are different "versions" of Plesk that I know of.... Web Admin Edition, Web Pro Edition, and Web Host Edition.

Now, if you are talking about simply for you... it's such a "real" hassle.... It's OH such an issue to open a web browser, go to CloudFlare, sign in then manage the domains... hmm... seems like the same thing you have to do with Plesk? Only the CloudFlare DNS replication is MUCH faster than your Plesk solution will be.

Oh, not to mention, by using CloudFlare, you can also use their free tier to your sites benefit.

But.. have fun reading....

And these would be (most likely) the extensions he was referring to.....

It honestly sounds like you've jumped in WAY over your head? How much Linux admin and related network experience do you have?

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain all these.

I have Web Host Edition. Another guy was able to help with the DNS and it's up and running now.

The good thing is that my email is on google workspace so I was also able to set that up.

My next concern will be the azure security audit to ensure the vm is secured. I have been able to work through plesk security.

Thank you.