DISQUS?

DanielGarneau

Enthusiast
Hello TAZ friends,

I left a comment at http://www.wpbeginner.com, and then received an email asking to confirm the email I provided when I posted. After I clicked the confirmation button, I was asked to sign in to DISQUS.

Is it advisable or not to sign in to DISQUS when prompted to do so after leaving a comment on a web site?

Why or why not?

Jake

Developer
Disqus is just a 3rd party commenting system. You shouldn't have to sign in, should be able to use the 'pick a name' box. Though if you do sign in with some form of social media account, it won't share your password. Just name and e-mail for the most part.

Adam H

** Retired **
Of course you need to sign into Disqus unless you are leaving a comment as a guest user and don't want to build a reputation, much like the normal wordpress comment system you still have to login unless guest comments are allowed.

Think of it in the same light as visiting different forums, you have to login every time you visit one to leave a post, if you sign up and have a Disqus account then you build a reputation, your comments are counted like a post count and you can gain exposure and build your profile.

Obviously if its a blog you comment on alot then you can "remember me" or if you dont clear your cookies and cache too often more often than not when you "remember me" from disqus you will automatically be logged in when visiting any wordpress site that runs Disqus.

Its perfectly normal and fine to do.

Id recommend logging registering and/or logging into your disqus control panel at the disqus site and having a look around, you'll see how it works and notice how your comments are stored.

As a website blog owner running disqus you can also export comments to the default wordpress comment system at any time you wish if you ever wanted to stop using disqus, likewise you can import your current comments into disqus if you are installing it on an already established site.

DanielGarneau

Enthusiast
Thank you Jake and Adam, both of your answers are useful to me. I'll further investigate as suggested.