Discourse: an Open Source Discussion Platform (Forum) : A newbie's guide / introduction

davemacc

Fan
I don't know where you got the information about it being a resource hog. On the contrary it easy on resources.
Going the sites posted here, especially the 2nd one, it seems a lot slower than traditional software to load. the latest site that was posted especially, is extremely slow.

Maybe it's to do with the installation and setup of the site that leaves the 2nd so bad, and if so I may be critical for no reason, I just feel at this minute that the software feels very heavy and slow.

fbmac

Aspirant
This is wrong. Minimum requirements is 1 gig of ram. That's hardly going to break the bank. My test site runs on an Ubuntu VPS in Hyper-V with 2 gigs of ram.

I don't know where you got the information about it being a resource hog. On the contrary it easy on resources. It is built to be fast and use less resources than a comparable site running on any other platform.

What kind of load are you putting on these tests?
Try using multiple threads posting on the same topic, and topics with a very large number of replies and likes.

fbmac

Aspirant
This is wrong. Minimum requirements is 1 gig of ram. That's hardly going to break the bank. My test site runs on an Ubuntu VPS in Hyper-V with 2 gigs of ram.

I'd like to add, for a small, ghost town forum, for someone like me that is not likely to have a serious forum, and living in a 3rd world country, yes, that is expensive.

On the other hand, if you have a big, active forum, you need to do some serious load testing, because it takes more hardware than any other forum available. Orders of magnitude of more hardware.

On my case, most of the users Google throw at me are on cheap Android phones, and even the developers admit that it has performance issues with Android.

The time for loading the page isn't that bad by itself, but the battery drain was driving me insane.

If you solve or ignore all the performance things, I think it would be the best forum software available, and it's the one I spent most time learning how to customize and configure. I love many of it's unique features.