Discourse 1.3 Released

tomk

Adherent
http://blog.discourse.org/2015/06/discourse-1-3-released/

You may not like the radical change they are attempting, or the layout/design of their forum, but these guys continue to impress me for sure!

I for one like the shorter development cycles Discourse uses compared to the 1 to 4 year cycles others like XenForo 2, IPB 4, etc, follow. Not sure how they do it, considering they have a small team of developers, I think 3 (?), are they that much more talented/experienced over their competition or is it easier since they started with a blank page a couple of years ago?

Either way Jeff and team, keep it going, you guys are doing amazing!

AWS did you ever deploy Discourse on a production site yet? What do you think of the 1.3 release? I value your opinion!

Last edited:

TimWolla

Developer
Hi
I think 3 (?), are they that much more talented/experienced over their competition or is it easier since they started with a blank page a couple of years ago?
They have a massive amount of independent developers creating pull requests: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pulse/monthly and they are not bound by the limitations of the average hosting company providing PHP versions that were released years ago.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Desktop notifications finally going mainstream?
...and it's official, forums stopped being killed by Facebook and mobile apps.

Putnam

Oh you know...
I am using Discourse on my website, I found out about it while searching for a commenting solution. Each comment section of each page of my website is actually just a 'Topic' in the "Comments' category of my website. You can check it out in action via the links in my signature.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
Oh nice, they seem to have changed their policy of charging you a huge pile of money for the importers. That's good.

Not sure how they do it
Have you noticed how most Discourse Forums happen to look incredibly similar to each other? They have more or less thrown theme customisability off the bridge.

a small team of developers, I think 3 (?)
Weren't there ten or so developers? Or did they end up firing some people?

are they that much more talented/experienced over their competition
Well, they have a fair bit of venture capital funding, and some big organisations seem to have bought into the Discourse Vision and are forking over large piles of money to them.

rafalp

Desu Ex
Have you noticed how most Discourse Forums happen to look incredibly similar to each other? They have more or less thrown theme customisability off the bridge.
Eh, most of their users happen to be corporatey enough to stick to making navbar match their branding and thats it. Only some gaming sites bothered to do some bold color changes.

You could customize Discourse appearance via Ember-Addons mechanic, but that requires some Ember-fu and Discourse internals knowledge.

SAFAD

Developer
Eh, most of their users happen to be corporatey enough to stick to making navbar match their branding and thats it. Only some gaming sites bothered to do some bold color changes.

You could customize Discourse appearance via Ember-Addons mechanic, but that requires some Ember-fu and Discourse internals knowledge.
And this is exactly why it is gaining traction (not the main reason tho)
It looks and feels like Facebook, and any fanboy with the "Next Facebook" or "Facebook Killer" appeals him...

other than being used as a QA solution, I do not see discourse as a forum software at all

esquire

Habitué
Never cared for it. And then there is the course. I remember when sitepoint converted and that's when my activity there basically ended after a short moment of rekindling.