Discord testing paywall

KimmiKat

Fan

I had a feeling this was coming....

Introducing: Premium Memberships on Discord

Today, we’re excited to announce a brand-new feature that we’re currently testing with a small group of communities: Premium Memberships. Yep, you read that right! With Premium Memberships, creators and community owners will have the ability to gate part or all of their server behind a paid subscription.

Link: Discord blog post.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Hard skip. Theyve been paywalling everything they announced since the last 3 years, not fancying encouraging further of that 'impose limits, sell their removals' behaviour. The prices are ridiculously high even for first world users and dont even have regional matching.

Recommending everyone who likes a particular community to support it more directly, without greedy middlemen stealing a ridiculously high cut.
Quick warning that attaching your community too deeply into Discord is strictly one-way - there's no possibility to export it anywhere, and Discord makes it very easy for your channel members to gain new managers or fork the channel into a new one 'freed' from uncooperative community leaders.

Continuing on server-specific premium memberships, its discord's way of uncapping average revenue per user. If you were fine paying for a Nitro subscription, youre now allowed to pay for multiple discord subscriptions each starting at 5$/month. Remember, there's no hosting cost or official discord/nitro features getting unlocked, its free cash flow money for the company of which they redistribute some after a while.

Matt M

Developer
The difference here is that the community owner gets most of the money. It's a good idea for creators who want to create an income.

dvsDave

Aspirant
The difference here is that the community owner gets most of the money. It's a good idea for creators who want to create an income.
That's been the hardest part about Discord. I can't monetize it like I do my forums. I can't insert ads, I can't make the discord have benefits to my direct advertisers. That's the part that drives me nuts. I wish we could have more control over stuff like that. A discord membership scheme hopefully allows for split communities, some areas being free, some behind a paywall. That would be the most valuable setup.