DisAbility Resources Community (post exchange)

katavallo

Aspirant
Hiya! I started up a forum community a few months ago that is geared towards persons with disabilities, their family members or parents, and advocates and educators.
My forum really has the potential to be a success since there is nothing like it already.
I am looking to do a post exchange with anyone willing to help me expand the threads and replies on my forum. You do not need to know much about disabilities or education to contribute. You can provide your best judgement from your life experiences (current events, family life, etc.)
I am looking to do either a 10/10, 20/20, or 30/30 post exchange. I can do it with 1-3 accounts on your forum.
My interests and strengths include advocacy, education, gardening, animals, labor, politics, and adventure. I am also a good liar in writing and can easily fake any interest.
If interested, please drop your site URL below so that I can start posting.
My site is: https://abilityforums.com/
Forum Logo Style 6.png

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
I am also a good liar in writing and can easily fake any interest.
I was interested until I read this revelation that I could not trust anything posted by anyone on your site let alone what you would provide in creditable contributions to mine.
Nice idea for the sight, well put together. Too bad you have such an abusive heartless attitude to take advantage of those who have real disability issues to promote your site.

katavallo

Aspirant
I was interested until I read this revelation that I could not trust anything posted by anyone on your site let alone what you would provide in creditable contributions to mine.
Nice idea for the sight, well put together. Too bad you have such an abusive heartless attitude to take advantage of those who have real disability issues to promote your site.
Huh? You are reading too much into my thread. I am a special education teacher and I am disabled myself. I also go to court for children in foster care. You know nothing about me and your retaliation is very unnecessary. :mad:
I was stating that I can lie an interest. For example, I am not a gamer but I could be a gamer for the sake of helping grow a forum.

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
Huh? You are reading too much into my thread. I am a special education teacher and I am disabled myself. I also go to court for children in foster care. You know nothing about me and your retaliation is very unnecessary. :mad:
I was stating that I can lie an interest. For example, I am not a gamer but I could be a gamer for the sake of helping grow a forum.
As you admitted, I know you are a prolific liar and thus cannot be trusted. What else is there to know?
I am also a good liar in writing and can easily fake any interest.
I was stating that I can lie an interest.
Which is specifically concerning as now no one can believe that your interest in disabilities of others is sincere.

katavallo

Aspirant
As you admitted, I know you are a prolific liar and thus cannot be trusted. What else is there to know?

Which is specifically concerning as now no one can believe that your interest in disabilities of others is sincere.
Why would I spend hundreds of dollars on a website that I did not have a sincere interest in? You are reading too much into my post.
Honestly, I think that you are just being a troll. Have fun with your dirt bike group.

katavallo

Aspirant
Abusive? As I already stated, you are reading into my post too much. You know nothing about you and I do not need to prove my integrity to you.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Why would I spend hundreds of dollars on a website that I did not have a sincere interest in? You are reading too much into my post.
Because many people think forums are a for-profit activity and are way too cynical about the ways and means behind it.

I get the point being made - even if you can appear sincere, saying "I am a good liar in writing" *does rather discredit anything you say - even if that wasn't what you *meant*. What I think you *meant* was "I am trying to advertise my forum, willing to exchange post and will try to look like an engaged poster even if I don't really care about what your forum is about" which is a very different prospect to "I am a good liar" even if the underlying basis is the same.

katavallo

Aspirant
Hey Pete,
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I apologize if my wording was awkward.
I was not aware that people use forums as for-profit activities but I assure you that I am not. I have no plans to seek any funds from anyone.

ThornInYourSide

Aspirant
willing to exchange post and will try to look like an engaged poster even if I don't really care about what your forum is about"
That's the way I read it too, however, is that the kind of person you want coming to your site? Do you want people who are genuinely intersted in your content and are willing to vest themselves, or do you want people who only pretend to be interested just to get something in return (in this case page clicks)?

katavallo

Aspirant
That's the way I read it too, however, is that the kind of person you want coming to your site? Do you want people who are genuinely intersted in your content and are willing to vest themselves, or do you want people who only pretend to be interested just to get something in return (in this case page clicks)?
True, but we all have to start somewhere. In my case, I am starting from the ground up. I am going to attract new members by tabling expos and conferences over the next few months.

AlexTheBat

Aspirant
.... Whoa, what a lovely example of how disabled people have to be perfect at all times or else! Ya'll could use some serious neurodivergency 101 pamphlets or something. :p

My latest project is not yet off the ground so I can't offer an exchange, katavallo, but as someone is who is disabled myself and is a little involved in the community here and there; some advertisement suggestions are to connect with your local (or not so local ) disability groups of any kind and see if they're willing to partner with you, if they have suggestions or if they'd be willing to let you post links in places. Expos are gonna cost you a lot of money and you'd probably get better results honestly just looking at Facebook groups. Something to keep in mind is that a lot of disabled people struggle with money and expos and conventions cost a lot to attend; the people who need the most help won't be able to afford to get it that way. They will, however, look for free resources; those Facebook groups, independent blogs, podcasts, YouTube channels, etc... That's where you need to be more than anything.

I would also offer two suggestions; firstly, consider seriously whether or not you are aiming at disabled advocacy first or general caregiver/disability stuff. There is a very, very, VERY big difference between the type of support groups and resources created by 'abled-bodied'/neuro-typical people for the disabled community, and resources, education and support offered by disabled people for disabled people and able-bodied people. You can attract the former by working with the latter, but the reverse is almost never true. Trust me, they will smell that coming from ten miles away and you will never, ever get genuine disabled advocates working with you if they think you're just pandering to doctors and caregivers whining about how disabled people are burdens who aren't trying hard enough. Second recommendation would be to look to queer groups and advocates in general; the queer community has a much higher rate of disabilities and neurodivergency than the average population and the communities are tighter knit, better connected and focused on resource sharing. If you can get a few local queer advocates on board, they'll have better suggestions on how to communicate and connect with people, how to aim things both at the community you're trying to reach and the people who support them, and other ways you can improve.

katavallo

Aspirant
.... Whoa, what a lovely example of how disabled people have to be perfect at all times or else! Ya'll could use some serious neurodivergency 101 pamphlets or something. :p

My latest project is not yet off the ground so I can't offer an exchange, katavallo, but as someone is who is disabled myself and is a little involved in the community here and there; some advertisement suggestions are to connect with your local (or not so local ) disability groups of any kind and see if they're willing to partner with you, if they have suggestions or if they'd be willing to let you post links in places. Expos are gonna cost you a lot of money and you'd probably get better results honestly just looking at Facebook groups. Something to keep in mind is that a lot of disabled people struggle with money and expos and conventions cost a lot to attend; the people who need the most help won't be able to afford to get it that way. They will, however, look for free resources; those Facebook groups, independent blogs, podcasts, YouTube channels, etc... That's where you need to be more than anything.

I would also offer two suggestions; firstly, consider seriously whether or not you are aiming at disabled advocacy first or general caregiver/disability stuff. There is a very, very, VERY big difference between the type of support groups and resources created by 'abled-bodied'/neuro-typical people for the disabled community, and resources, education and support offered by disabled people for disabled people and able-bodied people. You can attract the former by working with the latter, but the reverse is almost never true. Trust me, they will smell that coming from ten miles away and you will never, ever get genuine disabled advocates working with you if they think you're just pandering to doctors and caregivers whining about how disabled people are burdens who aren't trying hard enough. Second recommendation would be to look to queer groups and advocates in general; the queer community has a much higher rate of disabilities and neurodivergency than the average population and the communities are tighter knit, better connected and focused on resource sharing. If you can get a few local queer advocates on board, they'll have better suggestions on how to communicate and connect with people, how to aim things both at the community you're trying to reach and the people who support them, and other ways you can improve.
Hey Alex! Thanks so much for your feedback, I find it really valuable. I am sorry that I am just now seeing your post.
Would you recommend focusing on membership of able-bodied advocates first or on a membership of people with disabilities? Please be as honest as possible.
My dilemma is that I want to appeal to both audiences. I want to make it a safe space for people with disabilities to find or share resources as well as a place for advocates/parents/teachers to get or share resources. My inspiration comes from https://emptyclosets.com/ actually - believe it or not. I found their forum to be incredibly supportive when I was finding myself. I would like to create something along the same lines, but for folks with disAbilities. Nothing like that exists currently, except for what I am trying to achieve here.
I totally agree with your "complaining" parent concern. I have thought and worried about that as well. I do think that if that were to happen, it would be a fabulous opportunity to educate those parents. I do think that most parents of folks with disAbilities have the best of intentions but that they may or may not have the right knowledge or vocabulary to accurately help their kids (if that makes sense?). Honestly, that is probably something that I am going to have to mitigate or figure out as my forum grows. I am hoping to eventually recruit really active members as moderators. I am limited to who I know right now.
I really like your suggestion of finding advocates within the queer community. I suppose that another outlet I could try is doing some "Meetup" style events but those might be a bit tedious to organize. I have also thought about reaching out to some Youtubers, in exchange for allowing them to have a "partnership" feature somewhere on the site. My only concern with partnering with organizations is the concept of "stepping on their feet". I created a regional event for kids with disAbilities and I had to be super super careful not to "step on the feet" of other organizations with similar philosophies or events in my area.
Side note: Please keep in mind that I am not any way in any form looking for any monetary compensation from members or entities what so ever. My only exception for this would be if my forum grew and I wanted to sell t-shirts and directly donate all proceeds to a non-profit. I was enlightened with replies that evidently people create forums for monetary gain; I did not even know that was a thing.