DigitalPoint Coop Advertising Network

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
TAZ is trying out the DigitalPoint Coop Advertising Network. If you look to the bottom of each page here (the ones separated by colons, the others are internal links) you'll notice 5 text links which are constantly changing. In return for having those here, our links go out to the network and should help us build up our search rank for important keywords. The ad network is a network of site owners that offer ad space to the network. In return, the ads they define are displayed across the entire network. There is no charge for this service.

sifuhall

Kung Fu Webmaster
Digital Point is an excellent site for all stuff SEO. I highly recommend the Coop Ad Network as well.

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
I wanted to think that it was enough simply to have lots of great content... but it's not. :unhunh: You have to do the seo...

Lugh

Habitué
I take anything DigitalPoint recommends or implements seriously, but I don't understand how this co-op is anything other than a link farm or web ring. What am I missing?

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
Mike Feury said:
I take anything DigitalPoint recommends or implements seriously, but I don't understand how this co-op is anything other than a link farm or web ring. What am I missing?
The weighting and distribution of links, daily validation, removal of unacceptable ads, and prevention of cheating to name a few... but Shawn explains it better if you dig around the site.

mojo

Habitué
my weight used to be 49,000, since they shifted the way things operate it is now below 4,000.

With the amount of membership at TAZ, the COOP should really help out, and probably quickly. If nothing else, you should begin getting increased weight from people that sign up via this thread.

accyroy

Giant Hedgehog
I had a play with this once, and also http://www.link-vault.com which is pretty much the same but with permanent links.
The google patent is quite scary as regards this system. Have a read of this: http://www.wwwcoder.com/main/parentid/285/site/5033/266/default.aspx

In case you don't want to run through all of that link then here is a quick quote..
Google indicates that it is better for link growth to remain constant and naturally paced. In addition, the anchor text should be varied as much as possible.
• New web sites should not acquire too many new links; it’ll be tolerated if the links are from trusted sites but it may be considered spam.

So how do you build your link popularity / Page Rank and avoid penalties?

When it comes to linking, you should clearly avoid the hocus pocus or magic bullet linking schemes. If you participate in quick fix link exchange scams, use automated link exchange software or buy hundreds of links at once, chances are Google will interpret your efforts as a spam attempt and act accordingly.

Don’t get caught in this trap… the recovery period could be substantial since your host and IP range are also considered!

Personally, I'd rather have normal links well distributed and not risk the wrath of google for a sudden influx of links. I get far to much traffic from google to risk any of my sites being banned.

mojo

Habitué
If google has a problem with these products, they will make it known before simply banning sites. Google is fully aware of the coop, not sure about the new linkvault.

The Sandman

Administrator
Sure, the Google guidelines are important, but they don't preclude using the ad coop. It depends on how big a site is, how many links are already in place, link "quality", and how many coop ads you run among other things.

mojo

Habitué
and as a user of the coop, I can say that the big 3, google, msn, and yahoo, have already made adjustements for it. the effects are still great, and I get alot of visitors from the text ads that show up on others sites. But it is not the same as it was.

The Sandman

Administrator
mojo said:
and as a user of the coop, I can say that the big 3, google, msn, and yahoo, have already made adjustements for it. the effects are still great, and I get alot of visitors from the text ads that show up on others sites. But it is not the same as it was.
That seems to be the concensus - that is is still worthwhile though not as effective as it originally was.

mojo

Habitué
The Sandman said:
That seems to be the concensus - that is is still worthwhile though not as effective as it originally was.

I'm happy to be in it, and I appreciate those of you who signed up using the TAZ referral link. It will help us keep growing and finding new members. :) If anyone needs assistence installing this on a vB3 forum let me know - it's pretty easy.
Happpy to see you in it, Sandman. There is a staff member here that is reaping the benefits of it now on a very new forum. There is no denying that he helps alot.

I would love to see the number of websites using this program top 10,000 this year. It is well on its way. And more websites just means a stronger core and more benefit.

mightyb

Amaizingnistrator
I did not like it because they want it on every page... It wanted itself in my archive, toplist, member pages and other places i did not want it.

The Sandman

Administrator
mightyb said:
I did not like it because they want it on every page... It wanted itself in my archive, toplist, member pages and other places i did not want it.
Why? For seo purposes it's better that it's on every page, and your coop "weight" is based on the number of pages the links run on. If you put them at the bottom of your footer nobody sees them anyway, so why not have them?

Clasione

Adherent
ok, here we go.....
My thoughts on DP Coop:
And you take this and do what you wish with it. I'm not saying whether or not you should use the coop program or not. I'm simply stating my thoughts and experiences with it. I think Shawn at DP creates some of the most valuable seo tools in the business.

First of all, DP coop works! No ifs ands or buts, it works. I've used it, enjoyed it, and stopped using it.

Copp link distribution will get your site top ranked for ordinarily very dificult keywords. Problem is, as much as everyone knows that Google knows about it, they are working unusually hard at making sure it doesn't help you minipulate their results. I'm sure MSN and Yahoo are somewhere behind them.

In my experience, It is relitively easy to take a number 1 position in both Yahoo or MSN while using the coop system as long as you have a decent weight assigned to your acount... A decent weight is probably anything at or above the 10,000 mark.

As far as Google serps are conserned, I wouldn't promise you a #1 result, but in my opinion, your likely to atleast make the first page.

The three reasons I stopped using the coop follow:

1 - When something is thought to be two good, it usually is. That's just Murphys Law.

2 - Google's recent patent application is an example of how they are desperatly trying to identify coop like tactics. Although everyone and their mother that uses coop will say to you "hey, it's no big deal, it's just like Google Adsence - they rotate?" well, to all those people, fine, then you keep running it, it's your site, not mine.

3 - Since the links rotate constantly, I have absolutely no control over what my site links to and what it doesn't. So if someone sticks a site in coop - and somehow or another, it's a crap site and it temporarily gets into the network and Google crawls my page and finds it, well, lets just say I'm very picky at what I link out to.....

Those are some of he reasons why I have choosen not to use anything like that right now.... It may play no role in the future of my sites success, butu just incase it does and something happens down the road, I don't want to feel like I have to blame myself becasue I thought it might not be a great idea... To risky for me, thanks, but no thanks.

Now keep in mind that this is just my opinion.
1 - I could be wrong
2 - Nothing negitive could ever happen
3 - I could be missing out on tons of traffic longterm

But I gotta go with my gut on this, becasue in my experience, that is the best thing to do.

quentin

Habitué
The more it goes, and the more google and other search engines favor links that have existed for a while rather than new links.
With DP coop's system, a refresh on the same page may bring in different links. That means that when googlebot re-visits a page, he won't find the same links as the previous ones, making both links that appeared the first and the second time much less efficient than a link that would have appeared both times.

This, added to the fact that you don't control the links quality, relevance, and how they enhance your own users' experience, make that I would never use such a tool or recommend it.
Come on now, on this page, on TAZ, I can see ads for credit cards, loans, poker or ads that are not even in english. This makes the bottom of the page look like comments on a blog that doesn't have spam filtering.

As Mike Feury mentionned, this is just an evoluted link farm. Not the right way to SEO imho.