Did you missed someone?

ChrisTERiS

Enthusiast
Don't know if this question comes due to my old age, or because I'm almost alone in life, and I've a feeling that when "I'll go...", nobody will takes attention of it. But let's drop this bad thought. The only that I want to know if the persons that I missed are good and healthy. Maybe they changed plans and interests in their life, so is normal to stay away from forums.

Have been in forums since 2003, at the date of the release of vB 3.0 Gold. During these 17 years, I used to see online some people on daily basis. Not that I was on private contact with them, but how to explain, when I used to see "ABC" user to be online every day, I was feeling a bit strange (bad feeling), when for a long time he/she was offline. And I was feeling so good seeing him/her again online.

eg I used to follow the posts here from a coder who, some years ago, decided to code his own forum. Never talked with him, but I always read his posts. German I think, in the team of vbulletin-germany.org. Not sure. His name was sound like Italian... Soleni... Soloneli... I'm not sure. The last that I remember is that his Forum will be in Javascript. The forum name was something like "Skoopa"?? ... Even for the forum name, I'm not sure that is correct.

Next one is a woman. I think that she was Moderator here as one time she has removed one of my vB mods as it contain the word "Adults" :) ....... The only that I remember from her that she had tatoo. Don't know if it was the avatar, or text in user status.

Last but not least (sure some more will come in my mind), is a person from vb.org, most probably all of you know him. Marco Van..... (long name). He was Super Admin at vb.org

If you've also missed someone, feel free to post it here :)

zappaDPJ

Administrator
His name was sound like Italian... Soleni... Soloneli... I'm not sure.
That's s.molinari and his project is or was http://www.skooppa.com/

Next one is a woman. I think that she was Moderator here as one time she has removed one of my vB mods as it contain the word "Adults" :) ....... The only that I remember from her that she had tatoo.
That sounds like Lisa who seems to have disappeared without trace. She was very active here and elsewhere around the Internet, I hope she's OK.

I don't recall seeing Marco van Herwaarden post anywhere for years.

ChrisTERiS

Enthusiast
That's s.molinari and his project is or was http://www.skooppa.com/

That sounds like Lisa who seems to have disappeared without trace. She was very active here and elsewhere around the Internet, I hope she's OK.

I don't recall seeing Marco van Herwaarden post anywhere for years.
Thank you :) As for Marco van Herwaarden I found a post from PaulM. I think that he left forums at all.

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
Christer-

I've been involved with forums, in some way, since 1985. I've stopped keeping track, but I've known probably a dozen people who died while we were both active in one of those forums. Probably some who just disappeared, also did so or that reason.

For me, and I think for many of the others I have known, participated in forums for business or professional reasons (this may also apply to hobby forums). People's professional lives change: they get promoted, change career paths, get a more-active personal life, or retire. A specific forum becomes less relevant to their lives than it once was.

In my experience, people tend to join fora when they are new to the subject and learning. As they become more experience and knowledgeable, they may stick around for some time to help the newbies—paying back to the community. At some point, they move past that, get tired of the same newbie questions, need different discussions in order to continue learning. This is twin danger of any community of practice: not keeping enough experienced members to help the new folks; or becoming so insular, so focused on the "experts" that new folks feel unwelcome.

I find that I sometimes wonder about folks with whom I once had a connection, but that connection was formed by a specific set of interests/activities that we probably no longer share. While I would be happy to bump into them , I doubt that the connection would still be there.

--don

Zero Numbers

Adherent
Yes, I have people who I miss. Those who I had a connection with or something going on on an internet forum.

I'll express how feel musically.

GregConnery

Neophyte
Sadly, but yes, a familiar feeling. In many different forums one time or another, but I've met really good people. However, none of them are still present nowadays. I do hope they're OK and are happy and all, but I do miss long conversations and those special emotions every one of them brought me.