Deploying Facebook's 'Like' button on your website makes you a joint data slurper

Paul M

Super Moderator
What is a data 'slurper' ?.

TBH, unless you are a big company, who cares ?

(I dont use them on my site, but GDPR would not stop me if I wanted to).

zappaDPJ

What is a data 'slurper' ?.

I'd take a guess it has something to do with remote data harvesting i.e. remote as in it's not your data which is probably why GDPR has raised its head above the parapet.

R0binHood

Habitué
TBH, unless you are a big company, who cares ?

I guess that's part of the problem. These widgets are used to track people as they browse the web outside of the facebook network. Some big sites might remove them, but if the small sites don't, then there will still be a massive network of sites that continue to slurp of the browsing data of those users and build profiles on them, even if they're not members.

What's funny is that I decided to turn off my adblock for the register after reading this article to suppoert them as I really like their work. Straight away I get bombarded with Adobe analytics and data harvesting ads. Jesus, I had started to forget what the web looks like these days without an ad blocker.

There's just no escaping the tracking at this point, is there? Even with rulings like this.

upload_2019-7-31_0-31-25.png

User37935

Neophyte
Jesus, I had started to forget what the web looks like these days without an ad blocker.

The Register is truly awful without an advert blocker, they are a good example of what drives people to use them in the first place.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
There may be some like buttons that don't involve giving Facebook button (e.g. clicking on the thing and being redirected off to their site), but the most featureful ones are probably also the most dubious.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
There may be some like buttons that don't involve giving Facebook button (e.g. clicking on the thing and being redirected off to their site), but the most featureful ones are probably also the most dubious.
Loading a script or widget from another site will always leak user data and browsing habbits. We just need to go back to classic text-only share links.

KimmiKat

Fan
Some sites overdue the FB like button. I think they're useless as a bull in a china shop.

overcast

Adherent
When I get any wordpress based project where client wants facebook login, I try to convince them not to go that model. At the most I can convince them for google login (which is no saint and it's like facebook too).