Dealing with moderators that think they 'own' your forum?

FTL

Adherent
PeacefulMind I see you posted this almost three years ago and the thread has been quiet for a few months, but I still think it's worth adding my tuppence worth in support. :)

First of all, I think you're in the right here.

What I wonder, is how did they manage to give themselves admin privileges? It's not possible unless someone hacked the forum software, maybe? Did that absent admin do it before they became, well, absent? Was the software out of date? What forum software is the site on?

They certainly have an inflated sense of entitlement to be telling the new site owner that they need permission from them. Totally ridiculous! :LOL: I would certainly be telling them in no uncertain terms and firmly, but fairly, that I call the shots round here. I'd offer them the option of towing the line or being demoted and if they kick off too much (sounds like they'd go mental) gently advise them that they may be banned if they don't stop that behaviour. Depending on the exact circumstance, I might tell them that I value their contributions, but only when given in the right way.

I think they'd be unlikely to behave well, so probably a demotion along with appointing new mods would be in order. If they then ragequit the forum, so be it.

And apologies, but I haven't had the chance to go through the thread, so how was this resolved in the end?

Finally, I'd love to know what forum this is and may well like to join, so would you please mind letting me have the link? By PM is fine if you want to keep it confidential.

PeacefulMind

Aspirant
PeacefulMind I see you posted this almost three years ago and the thread has been quiet for a few months, but I still think it's worth adding my tuppence worth in support. :)

First of all, I think you're in the right here.

What I wonder, is how did they manage to give themselves admin privileges? It's not possible unless someone hacked the forum software, maybe? Did that absent admin do it before they became, well, absent? Was the software out of date? What forum software is the site on?

They certainly have an inflated sense of entitlement to be telling the new site owner that they need permission from them. Totally ridiculous! :LOL: I would certainly be telling them in no uncertain terms and firmly, but fairly, that I call the shots round here. I'd offer them the option of towing the line or being demoted and if they kick off too much (sounds like they'd go mental) gently advise them that they may be banned if they don't stop that behaviour. Depending on the exact circumstance, I might tell them that I value their contributions, but only when given in the right way.

I think they'd be unlikely to behave well, so probably a demotion along with appointing new mods would be in order. If they then ragequit the forum, so be it.

And apologies, but I haven't had the chance to go through the thread, so how was this resolved in the end?

Finally, I'd love to know what forum this is and may well like to join, so would you please mind letting me have the link? By PM is fine if you want to keep it confidential.
It was an update on IPB in 2016 that elevated their permissions. I tested it myself and someone classified as a 'mod' was able to elevated the permissions because they had some admin functions (eg deleting accounts and name changes); during one of the updates; it gave them the ability to choose what permissions they where allowed to have -- they even changed their titles from "staff helper" to "admin" (I am in contact with the old owner of the site who verifies they did not give them the physical permission to do what they where doing). It ended with me locking down their permissions and them... just leaving.... new mods have since taken their place.