Dealing with moderators that think they 'own' your forum?

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I think this thread is a good example of moderators who are just completely off the rails.
The last thing someone needs is a delusional nitpick who would rather sit on a throne than to talk to people like a normal human being.

And members tend to feel it, even if they don't complain about it (perhaps, because they'll get banned, if they do).
interesting example except left wing people argue by emotions and fantasy and right wing people argue with fact and logic...
I could say the same about both, really. The problem with both sides is that they can never come to any sort of acceptable compromise, each side just wants to push and push and push to get whatever they want.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
I agree with you, sometimes a compromise from both sides actually gives the best result for everyone.

pity this doesnt happen more often to be honest.

PeacefulMind

Aspirant
The third one:

That is a standard feature.
This feature can now be disabled. Only root admin account (which I don't access unless needed); has this; as well as I set them to another Admin group that looks the same -- but different. To lower their abilities to abuse both member privacy and make changes that I don't authorize to the board.

Smokey

Enthusiast
It's never gotten to that point with my staff, especially over the years, but if it did, they'd simply get demoted and if they continued then a suspension/ban would occur.

Emmanuel03

Neophyte
Rachat de crédit plus rallonge argent
Small steps I guess, but the first thing I would be doing would be to remove their admin privileges, you could always make up another admin group with less privileges and assign to them so that the members still think they are the admin. You don't want people with the ability to wreck your forum or hold you over a barrel if they disagree with you, it doesn't end well.

Maybe just try and make small changes over a longer period of time rather then any significant changes straight away, also they may have a point about announcing a new owner - you may want to think how other members will view this, a lot of the time its a negative reaction.

hmm its a tricky one.
Yes personally we are trying to make small changes over a longer period :)

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Never happened to me.. Honestly, I cant see it happening either. I'm too involved.

Alfa1

Administrator
One stepped down and other is still bitterly there. But it's a lot less tension once I told them 'this is the policy and you can agree to it or not -- your choice'.
Do you still have one bitter admin with admin rights?? Am I understanding you correctly? If yes, why are you taking this risk with your community?

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
Ask Me Anything
Visit
If it was on my old forum, I would have demoted them thr moment they thought they could bypass me and make edits without my permission. Bottom line.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Agree, better to weed out the annoying ones and put them in time out instead of letting them interrupt the class constantly.

Its your forum so run it how you want, but if you have other admin or mod that disagree with you all the time then I would get rid of them before they turn your site toxic.

ALMUSA

Neophyte
I had a similar situation with one of my moderators where he bosses users around and uses the warning/ban continuously. I received a lot of complaints from members and reached out to him multiple times to ease it down. He would say ok at first but as soon as he leaves, he goes back to his bad habit. I did not want to demote him because he was very very active on the forum and I knew if I demote him he will leave. He left me no chance so I finally decided to demote him. He did not stop there, he went on asking other moderators to do some moderation on his behalf. I then replaced the whole team. Sometimes you find yourself in a very tough situation where you outweigh the benefit/risk and then come to a conclusion.