Dark Mode

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Dark Mode seems to be going mainstream this year... Somewhat. iOS and Android have added it and it seems that some of the major social networks (at the very least Twitter) have as-well. With one flip of a switch, everything can go dark on a phone, along with any websites that are "dark mode compatible" (there is a media query for it, so you can style it in the CSS, I believe).

Discourse has a dark mode of sorts, as does Gosora (by sneaking both light and dark themes into the default distribution), but these have to be toggled manually, if I recall. This is a very interesting development and it comes about to make sites easier on people's eyes, particularly in situations with poor visibility or at night.

SteveAR

Aspirant
Its all about options these days and the white screen is rough on the eyes for a lot of people

\o/

an oddity
There is a difference between a light mode and a white screen. I actually prefer a mild light tone, it is much easier to read than a dark mode.

Nabix

Oddly I to prefer light tones. Although, when I'm browsing sites, I used dark mode if available. But, when I'm coding my own software or building my own site, I generally use a light tone...hmmm

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Oddly I to prefer light tones. Although, when I'm browsing sites, I used dark mode if available. But, when I'm coding my own software or building my own site, I generally use a light tone...hmmm
I use light during the day and dark at night, although sometimes I can't be bothered to disable dark mode. It also sort of depends on my mood and the theme itself.

Nabix

A lot of sites haven’t pulled off dark mode very well quite yet. I’ve honestly created sites with dark modes years ago. Wonder why it’s taken this long to go main stream. Thanks apple

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
A lot of sites haven’t pulled off dark mode very well quite yet. I’ve honestly created sites with dark modes years ago. Wonder why it’s taken this long to go main stream. Thanks apple
I've seen dark mode _alot_ over the past few years, mostly on writing sites and the like, which kind of makes sense as they feel the burn the most when something isn't easy on the eyes.

R0binHood

Habitué
I like some dark themes, but iOS dark mode isn't great IMO. Too many deep blacks. Makes for too much contrast and strains my eyes far more than some of the well designed dark forum themes I've used that use more shades of gray.

Nabix

I use the dark theme for iOS, but only because I use it on Macbook and iMac. I'm to intertwined in the Apple life-cycle.

zappaDPJ

Its all about options these days and the white screen is rough on the eyes for a lot of people

From a medical perspective, this is only partially true. Some people suffering from abnormal or extreme light sensitivity will undoubtedly benefit from dark mode colour schemes but that's not true for the majority of us with healthy eyes.

Positive polarity (dark on light) provides better performance in most areas including focusing, reading speed and comprehension. Many studies also suggest that a positive polarity display results in less visual fatigue and increased eye comfort.

Jura

Devotee
All sites should have a mode that was like my old vB TAZ profile.

macfanpl

Enthusiast
Im on MacBook with Catalina, so in Preferences > General I have Viewmode set to Auto. It changes lightmode<>darkmode based on current time and sun position. It works well