Cyburbia - urban planning forum

Cyburbia is a portal of sorts, catering to urban planners and others interested in cities and the built environment.

Here's my vBUlletin 2.3.0 based forums : http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/

I'm upgrading to vBulletin 3.0 over the long weekend, and I'm not looking forward to it. The big thing: copying all the old themes, downloading the graphics so they aren't overwritten by stock vBulletin graphics, and fretting about what might go wrong ... because, inevitably, something will. vBulletin upgrades usually go smoothly, but I just know there will be something nonstandard about my hosting service, or a fluke in the database that repair didn't catch ... something. :bonk:

Atwookie

Aspirant
I upgraded a board full of members etc from 2.3.3 to vB 3.0.0 RC1, and it went very smoothly. And I believe that vB will archive all your old styles, and then you should be able to update them to fit the new standards. That will probably be the longest part.

Atwookie said:
I upgraded a board full of members etc from 2.3.3 to vB 3.0.0 RC1, and it went very smoothly. And I believe that vB will archive all your old styles, and then you should be able to update them to fit the new standards. That will probably be the longest part.

I've got 3.0 up and running now.

I''ve got the thread dispaly in "legacy mode," since it's more familiar to the forum's users. The new default mode looks nice, and it saves a bit of screen space, but once-familiar vB 3 sites using the new postbit just look strange.

There's still a lot of work to do. vB 3 wasn't kind with existing templates, so they all have to be recreated from scratch; fortunately, I saved all the graphics and color settings before I updated. There is also a lot more fine tuning to do. I'm picky about consistency and capitalization with language, so I'm spending a lot of time with the language pack.

floris

Habitué
Hi there,

After a nice 30 minutes browsing and reading on your site I came to the following conclusion: (as hard as it might be!)

NICE SITE!

I really like it. Good content and nice memberbase. It looks like you really know what you are doing and the site is just a nice simple solid layout, etc. I really like that.

Good luck with the upgrade.