Customizing/Styling XF2 – Easy or a Challenge?

How is your experience with XF2 DESIGN customization

• I had fun and it was accomplished easily

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It took time to learn but was great in the outcome

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It was challenging but I succeeded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had a hard time but reached my goals

• I had to give up after trying it

• I will try later... maybe...

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I don't touch that

• Total voters

Freelancer

Aspirant
I just completed my first Design Job for a young XF Admin with a XF2 Forum and I wanted to hear some XF2 admins how your experiences / endeavors have gone so far with "styling" and really customizing your XF2 Forums (not just changing a button color please...). Was it fun? Was it challenging? Have you installed the [TH] UIX2 Framework and a Sub-Style? How has that influenced the styling?

Steve

Fanatic
I think it is really nice aside from the color palette. It’s quite the task tracking all of it down but all in all the whole system is a nice upgrade from XF1.

Steve

Fanatic
It just takes time track down the color palette usage and dissect it.

Russ

Administrator
Could you explain this?
There are just certain areas that could be approached in a slightly better way I suppose.

Take: paletteColor2 for example. By default, it's used as:

blockTabHeader text color
borderColorHighlight: border color
editorSelectedBg: background-color

If you change the color palette you have to be very particular about the approach to avoid a bunch of edits. I have a little list of suggestions I'm working on but they're all pretty minor anyhow to the point I'm not even sure it's worth implementing this far into the 2.x release. It's not a big deal, the benefits of the 2.x over 1.x styling.... well far too many to list. Better in every single way. I've never once said, "I miss this about the 1.x styling system".