Creating an online community without the community?

Nite

Participant
Nite submitted a new Article:

Original Article found at : forum.midessa.net

As a new forum administrator myself, I'm sure that my frustrations are shared among my forum comrades. You've gone through the trouble of registering a domain, picking a host, installing the software, tweaking the coding, and advertising your site. All these things cost money, and you attempt to make use of tasteful advertising in order to offset those inital costs. However, one thing is lacking: a community.

"Well," you reason, "I am advertising my site, after all. It's not like I'm sitting around doing nothing except for hoping that people visit my site and join my community." But still, the people do not come. You've read articles on the internet that suggest to offer contests, prizes, and other rewards to get people to join your community -- your baby. But still, the people do not come. In the back of your mind, you want people to participate in your community because they want to -- not for the prizes. In other words, you don't want "to buy" your community. You want a real community. You've created a myspace profile that advertises your site. You've told your friends, family, and classmates about your site. You're paying Google or Yahoo or MSN to display a link to your site according to the keywords that reflect your site's content. But still, the people do not come.

Are people trying to tell you something when they don't register?
Is your site really that inferior?

It's easy to get frustrated. And in a certain way, you believe people are just not interested in your particular site. "People just don't care," you presume. People do have lives outside of the internet, right? Not everyone has access to a computer, and if they did, chances are that they are visiting busier sites, more established sites, than yours. "So why bother with it? Why go through the expense of attempting to provide people with the resource of your site when people do not take advantage of it in the first place?"

In other words, you've done everything in your power to build a community but the community isn't coming. It's at times such as these that you have to remind yourself of a few things.

1. If you created a site with the expectation of building a community, the people won't arrive immediately.
It takes weeks, months, and perhaps one or two years to build a community. Even though you've done your...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

needvert

Senior? Sounds Old ;)
that was an excellent article.

it truly hits all the points, and hopefully encourages admins to not give up.

wallythagreat

Aspirant
Inspirational

Thanks for the article. My forum is very new and this whole article just gave me so much hope. Thanks a ton.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
Every thing you wrote made total sense to me. This is a great read and is even greater inspiration to others out there who may, at times, lose hope.
Don't!
To all the starting forum owners out there...post post post...they will come!
Do it because you love it and they will come.
:)

gogo

hiphopave.net

Participant
3. In light of #2, new administators should not expect to make money from their site.

Just said perfectly. I could not agree more.

Jura

Devotee
I needed that.

My site does reflect me, which is why comments can be left anywhere, etc. I look for interactive-ness in sites. And anime....

RelevantBuZZ_PR

Aspirant
For me there's so much truth to the article I identified with every point made. You've expressed exactly what I'm going through. I'm surprised I didn't come across this before but I'm so thankful I did.

When I decided to create a forum-based community I knew it would take not only work but a great amount of patience. Still, because I'm so involved in the project, I sometimes forget the important points you've outlined in the article.

BTW...I love this line:

And finally, you are never truly alone until you delete your site.

Thank you for a fantastic article. :tup:

BicycleOhio

Aspirant
Thank you. Your advise buoyed my confidence. I've got two new forums running, one's got off to a pretty good start, the others sitting there.

I've done everything you mentioned to get them both started. I've even created a couple of members to post. I'll patiently await the new members to come. :shifty:

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
Original Article found at : forum.midessa.net

As a new forum administrator myself, I'm sure that my frustrations are shared among my forum comrades. You've gone through the trouble of registering a domain, picking a host, installing the software, tweaking the coding, and advertising your site.

lol
That's funny
I think we forgot the part about making content our first priority
Maybe this is why peeps get frustrated so quickly?
:)

gogo

Last edited:

cdanik

Aspirant
There are some forums that have thousands of members, and thousands of posts. However, not all of their members actively post

VERY true!! The forum I am an admin for is this way.

Great article! thanks!