Concerned About "Bad Actors" Causing Legal Troubles

FriendlyPerson

Aspirant
How do people do such here to cope with such? Do you just remove the content and move on? If so how do you assure it's not "destruction of evidence" when doing so? What about your host's abuse/complaints? Do they give you "room to breathe" if a content goes unreported/your sleeping or whatever? Or are you always at the mercy of them "shutting you down" if someone decides to be a "bad actor" on your forum?

In short I am at a loss on how to actually "play it safe" other than reasonable precautions (put in terms and conditions, guidelines, moderate fairly recently, automated filtering of registrations where possible/feasible).

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
A little context would be helpful -- I generally don't worry about these things.

If so how do you assure it's not "destruction of evidence" when doing so?

Im not sure what kind of bad actor your referring to here or what evidence. But, you can remove the stuff from public view by moving it to a trash forum that only you can see if you feel you might need it later...

What about your host's abuse/complaints?

That depends on your host. Some are very strict, some are more understanding

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I never remove content, if it's unwanted it goes straight to a dump box, even if it's only spam. I'd say this is fairly common practice.

I don't recall ever having a host pass on a complaint about content. That is actually an interesting question. Do hosts generally act on complaints?

FriendlyPerson

Aspirant
A little context would be helpful -- I generally don't worry about these things.
I got you and I understand what you means by the latter. I mean in the general senses. Like for instance people illegally attempting to sell Paypal, Netflex accounts and so on a public market place forums.
Im not sure what kind of bad actor your referring to here or what evidence. But, you can remove the stuff from public view by moving it to a trash forum that only you can see if you feel you might need it later...
I never remove content, if it's unwanted it goes straight to a dump box, even if it's only spam. I'd say this is fairly common practice.
I got you, I just wanna be aware of "good practices" just to keep myself and my community safe.
I don't recall ever having a host pass on a complaint about content. That is actually an interesting question. Do hosts generally act on complaints?
I believe they can and they will. For instance say if someone selling illegally some account access, software or whatever the vendors can choose to report it to the host and if they believe it's truthful challenge it from there.

Though I believe the web's standards is to contact the webmaster first but of course this isn't guaranteed and I don't think there legal complications for someone to go upstream.

DaveL

Habitué
During the Op YewTree investigagtions, on one of my old forums a group of chatters were talking about how Rolf Harris was involved in this investigation. He hadn't been named in the press, but it was clearly him.
Days later I got a letter sent Speical Delivery by his soliciators. Needless to say I hid the content very quickly.

Shortly after he was named and convicted - 5 years 9 months for child sex offences.

Still got the letter somewhere!

FriendlyPerson

Aspirant
During the Op YewTree investigagtions, on one of my old forums a group of chatters were talking about how Rolf Harris was involved in this investigation. He hadn't been named in the press, but it was clearly him.
Days later I got a letter sent Speical Delivery by his soliciators. Needless to say I hid the content very quickly.

Shortly after he was named and convicted - 5 years 9 months for child sex offences.

Still got the letter somewhere!
Exactly hosts and people in general tends to forget, in the space of public users' generated content crap like this is going to happen. No matter how "good" and "proactive" you are with such. To be assured that you can run a board of any significant scale without illegal craps going on is a outright understatement.

In my own honest opinion hosts and people in general should be understanding of this simple fact that we cannot "babysit" our members' every second of the day. Even though it's our jobs as owners and admins to make sure our site operates within legal limits.

I am just very glad I think I found a host who doesn't only understand such simple logic that we are all human beings but also cared to assured me of my such worries that they will still cares to work closely with me when crap like this unavoidably happens.

I glad also here gets my worries too, I love how people are generally willing to be understanding of my worries too. :tup:

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Well - as a general rule, your protected by the Communications Decency Act, Section 230

Section 230 says that "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider"

).

Basically it means you cannot be held responsible for what your members post. That said, I wouldn't permit posting you know to be illegal or unscrupulous. So when you talk about posts attempting to sell paypal logins or netflix logins -- I would delete the post and mark the user as Spam (if using XF) to keep them off your site. That shows you do not support illegal stuff and if there is ever any question that should be more then enough protection.

As I said before, I dont think hosting companies deal with this stuff much if at all -- but every hosting company is different. In general I dont think you have to worry about a host shutting you down if your making a good faith effort to keep this stuff off your site. If they were going to move against you most likely they will email you first and tell you what the problem is.

FriendlyPerson

Aspirant
Well - as a general rule, your protected by the Communications Decency Act, Section 230

Section 230 says that "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider"

).

Basically it means you cannot be held responsible for what your members post. That said, I wouldn't permit posting you know to be illegal or unscrupulous. So when you talk about posts attempting to sell paypal logins or netflix logins -- I would delete the post and mark the user as Spam (if using XF) to keep them off your site. That shows you do not support illegal stuff and if there is ever any question that should be more then enough protection.

As I said before, I dont think hosting companies deal with this stuff much if at all -- but every hosting company is different. In general I dont think you have to worry about a host shutting you down if your making a good faith effort to keep this stuff off your site. If they were going to move against you most likely they will email you first and tell you what the problem is.
Ah got you there, thanks very much for bringing this to my attention that is likely all I ever need to worry about here and there. :tup:

I also get what your saying there as typically they will just try to do this at your level and best practices is not to use the host's abuse and complaints department as your "first option". Though as they saying goes "**** does happens though".

So I feels in the relation of user generated contents it's good to belief go over this with the provider just as "heads up" and being assured by them that should and when it happens they are aware that your not say running a personal blog or something where your the sole contributor to the contents posted. Then as always have off network backups for anything else. With ideally ANOTHER provider who you can get up and running again as soon as possible (while doing it safely of course).

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
As a rule of thumb, don't do anything that would give the appearance of it looking shady or sketchy. Books are often judged by their covers, and if it looks as if you don't care, people will assume you don't care.

If you do get hit by illegal content, you need to make it very clear that such conduct is unacceptable and that you have a zero tolerance policy for it.