Community: User Management

floris

Habitué
vB Floris submitted a new Article:

Community: User Management

User Management

After building your web site and getting your community going, it is important to realize how you are going to manage the users who visit your site as a guest or registered member. How you want your staff to behave and how you want to process abusive users.

We invite you to read this article written by 2thumbsup to learn more, or at least let you check your basics.

Author: 2thumbsup
Web site: http://www.gfxhaven.com/

Forum Rules

One of the most important aspects of a successful forum are the rules. If the staff makes the rules to strict, members leave. If the rules are too lienent, the forum turns to chaos. Somewhere in the middle is a nice medium. For example, if you want the forum to be rated PG, you would add a swear filter. However, many members would view this as childish, and lose respect for the forum. To counter this, make a special forum where the swear filter is disabled, where users are cautioned about the content of the forum before entering. Let the moderation in this forum be lose, so members can openly discuss what they want and release tension. Remember, though, even forums like this need some rules, to make sure users don't overstep their boundry.

Staff Responses

Many forums have a Suggestions area, where members can post what they would like to see on the site. I have noticed on a lot of forums that the admins will just say "no, won't happen" and close the thread. This leads to the user being upset and angered. Instead, explain to the user why their suggestion cannot be implemented, and leave the thread open incase they have any more questions. Recently, a user at my forum requested the avatar file size limit be increased from 20k to 100k, because he had a large avatar. I respond that such a large avatar would cause both server stress and client stress, so it would not be possible. That answered his question, and he went on normally, without being upset. Make sure your staff answers questions as kindly as possible, without any resentment or sarcasm.

Staff Posting

Everyone has seen it. The lone moderator or super moderator at a forum who loves to disagree. These can be quite troublesome. At one forum I was an admin at, one particular super moderator banned people who disagreed with him. New members would post, he would disagree, a heated argument would begin, and the new member would be banned for good. The...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: