Sponsored CMS Viral - The City Portal

ChrisTERiS

Developer
CMS Viral is a PHP script that I coded for my own use, to operate it as a city portal in my city. I paid attention to 3 points:
  1. To be easy in use not only for the readers but mostly for me as admin.
  2. To have a simple but attractive design, mobile friendly
  3. To avoid having features that a few only need, but also to avoid missing important features.
To avoid wasting your time checking what it can do and what not, I want to make clear some things:
  • Is not a forum script, even if it has a forum section
  • Is not for big boards even if it can handles easily more than 1M posts.
  • ......in simple words is for those who want to have a portal mostly for fun.
In draft, the main features of CMS Viral
  • It has out of the box 9 sections (Can be turn On/Off just by clicking a button):
    • Articles (Magazine)
    • Reviews
    • Classifieds
    • Business Directory
    • Events
    • Forum
    • Blog
    • Photo
    • Video
  • It has 6 type for comments which can be different per section. Please note that in all styles, I'm using the "Quote" function not as the traditional forum style, but using facebook style, so the reply goes below the quoted text.
    • Simple (Example)
    • Forum (Example)
    • Rating
    • Review (Example)
    • Facebook (External)
    • Disqus (External - Example)
    • ....and finally there is an option "No Comments". Also note that the author can disable comments per post.
  • The magic of Sections is that you can add more sections. "Sky is the limit". Just configure it with the features that you want and you've a totally new section.
You can extend CMS Viral with additional modules (currently in development), most of which are my modules for vBulletin.
  • Financial Module
    • Paid Memberships
    • User Wallet
    • Donations
  • Advertisements. This module works different than the well known Banner system. Actually Banner already exist in 3 places (Header, Footer, Sidebar). The Advertisement module will allows paid posts in sections. You can setup a price per day, so everybody with permissions to post Advertisements, can make a post which will becomes visible only after payment.
  • HelpDesk
    • Ticketing Support
    • F.A.Q
  • Paid Downloads
  • Recipes
  • Mailinglists Manager
  • Coupons
  • Mutli-user Private Messages
Another point that needs attention is that some important usergroup permissions are not global but work per section. This makes the CMS Viral more flexible.
  • Can Post
  • Can Post Advertisement
  • Post needs Approval
All other permissions like Edit, Delete etc are global.

Really is difficult to remember and list all the features. If you've some free time to check it, there is a demo at:
https://geek.cmsviral.com/

Chris

Last edited:

Alfa1

Administrator
Has this been modeled after vbulletin? The url structure and variables have a very similar structure.

ChrisTERiS

Developer
Has this been modeled after vbulletin? The url structure and variables have a very similar structure.
It can be vbulletin style, or MyBB style, or even WP style, but it's just the procedural coding style. All scripts using procedural, and not OOP coding style, are almost the same.

As for vBulletin, after 12 years working with it (still coding custom mods for vB4), it's normal to be familiar with that style, even using the same variable names. As an example, there is a vb function htmlspecialchars_uni to clean content. I'm using the same name, but the function itself is totally different code. Not even a single common word on it. The same applies for MySQLi connection variable. I'm using $db instead of the common $con.

Alfa1

Administrator
Thanks for explaining.
What testing methods are you using?

ChrisTERiS

Developer
Thanks for explaining.
What testing methods are you using?
Honestly, without any bad meaning, first of all, I want to inform you that is not for you ;) I know you many years now, you too. I mean I know your expectations from a script. You deal with big boards and big projects, and this is not for such cases. I wrote it at the top of my post.

That said, your question is a bit confusing, don't know if you mean tests for bugs, or tests for security issues, or final design issues. So I've to reply to all these:
  1. For bugs, I've 2-3 friends testing it, but I'm doing the hardest tests on my own. And not after the script completion, but after the completion of each section. I don't move to the next section without a check in depth of the current one.
  2. For security issue, I've some custom functions to clean every input. Actually I'm not using any editor for posts and I'm not allowing even simple HTML tags like bold, underline etc. Links, Photos, Videos, Files are attachments to post. I'm using Facebook style for posts. None formatted text.
  3. For those who want the maximum of security (SQL Injections, XSS Vulnerabilities, Proxy Visitors, VPN Visitors, TOR Visitors, Spam), I've implement as add-on module a 3nd party script. Is the best that I found and does not slows the website's performance.
Hope that you didn't misunderstood the meaning of my post.

Chris

ChrisTERiS

Developer
CMS Viral updated:
  1. Normal Registration (in addition to Facebook login)
  2. Mailinglist Manager (Page Footer)
  3. Donations (Page Footer)
  4. New interface
  5. MSN style slider showing 1/3/2 news per slide
  6. Auto installer
Check the updated demo at:

ChrisTERiS

Developer
As for page speed, not bad for a page with so many images. Removing the MSN style slider you're reaching almost the top, but I like it.

1584201395796.png

1584201411438.png

Alfa1

Administrator
Do you regret the choice of your software name now that the world is suffering a viral pandemic?

ChrisTERiS

Developer
Good question. Even if I've registered this domain many months ago, it's not sure if I'll use it. Have registered together some other names like CMSforo, CityForo, but I think that at the end I'll use something totally different. That's why, even if the script is 100% ready and tested, still my site is not.