Adherent
Seems to have taken out many sites.
Including
simplemachines.org
discord
xenforo.com
mybb.com
phpbb

Some of mine that I have as well pointed to it.
Hopefully gets resolved soon.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
At least they have a decent record of not collapsing too often or badly.

However, a 3rd party service this prominent taking down so many websites is a stark reminder nothing beats cutting these offsite dependencies - selfhost everything when you can, and rely on multiple services and venues to preserve contact with important helpers.
Just last week, tons of apps on iOS and Android broke just because the facebook sdk they bundled out of lazyness even if they didnt actually have 'login using facebook' functionalty allegedly "malfunctioned".

Ahh. My site was down. Contacted my host. Seems to be working now. Perhaps the same issue as discord disconnected too.

vbgamer45

Adherent
At least they have a decent record of not collapsing too often or badly.

However, a 3rd party service this prominent taking down so many websites is a stark reminder nothing beats cutting these offsite dependencies - selfhost everything when you can, and rely on multiple services and venues to preserve contact with important helpers.
I agree, why most of time I try to avoid external api's as well since that can cause outages if not handled correctly

Sites are back now. Would like to see what caused the issue.

Joel R

Fan
"Not only were websites down but also some status pages meant to provide warnings and track outages."

vbgamer45

Adherent
I do wish more of those status page were more dynamic in terms of what is reported instead of needing a user to manual enter a failure event.. It drive me nuts seeing status of all green everything is ok when it is not.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
The outage according to Cloudflare was due to a router that 'announced bad routes'. That's a new one on me but it seems to be fixed now.

l3ta

Enthusiast
Yep. Just got this email from cloudflare:

"Today, from approximately 21:12 to 21:39 UTC, a configuration error in our backbone network caused an outage for Internet properties that use Cloudflare. During this period we saw traffic drop by about 50% across our network. Because of the architecture of our backbone this outage didn’t affect the entire Cloudflare network and was localized only to certain geographies."

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
It's like Dyn all over again. The solution there was for sites like Twitter and Paypal to avoid relying on just one DNS provider and to setup multiple redundant ones.

In this specific case, I think Cloudflare might be becoming "too big" with too many sites relying on it.

\o/

an oddity
Isn't it ironic that sites not "protected" by Cloudflare have a higher uptime nowadays?

haqzore

Devotee
Isn't it ironic that sites not "protected" by Cloudflare have a higher uptime nowadays?
I see your point, but clarifying my own lack of expertise: Cloudflare isn't really an "uptime" service provider, is it?

\o/

an oddity
I would assume that almost all of Cloudflare’s customers use Cloudflare so they won’t be offline for capacity reasons.