Domain Name(s) Cloudflare Domain Registrar At Cost Pricing Will Save $$$

eva2000

Habitué
Some folks may have read that Cloudflare now has Domain Registrar services and promise to only charge at cost pricing with free whois privacy.

Currently, in early access stage of service offering so I just tested the domain transfer process for 6x of my XYZ domains currently at Namecheap. Process was smooth and reduced my costs by 37% from US$13.08 per domain to US$8.18 per domain. Full process outlined at https://community.centminmod.com/th...strar-transfers-reduced-my-costs-by-37.16038/ :) FYI, you only get to see the price at transfer time for XYZ it's US$8.00 per domain + $0.18 ICAAN fee. For .com apparently it's US$8.03 per domain.

The only road block some folks might have is Cloudflare Domain Registrar requires the domains you are transferring from existing domain registrar must have Cloudflare DNS name servers - meaning before you initiate a domain transfer, you must transfer your domain's DNS nameservers and setup/add domain to a Cloudflare account first (basically have Cloudflare DNS for your domains running BEFORE you initiate a domain transfer)

I am seriously going to save heaps of $$$$ with all my domains I plan to transfer over eventually :cool:

cf-domains-registrar-transfer-01.png

FYI, full disclosure though, I am now a Cloudflare MVP one of the first group of people to be invited into the new MVP program that Cloudflare is developing so I get special perks and access to new and upcoming Cloudflare products and some input into features/requests and alpha/beta testing :) However, all domain transfer costs above are paid by me fully.

VoXX

Participant
I'm waiting to get the email to set it up. Already use cloudflare for dns on several domains so I'm ok with moving the domain registration to them.

HWS

TAZ Member
Looks good at first sight.

At second sight, the saving is only 15% (and less) with my current registrar and they force you to move the DNS of the domains to Cloudflare before you can transfer/register with them. So, unfortunately I can't use it for all our domains. But I will try and review the service once we are accepted.

eva2000

Habitué
Looks good at first sight.

At second sight, the saving is only 15% (and less) with my current registrar and they force you to move the DNS of the domains to Cloudflare before you can transfer/register with them. So, unfortunately I can't use it for all our domains. But I will try and review the service once we are accepted.
Guess the benefit of moving is you also get Cloudflare CDN and performance/security services too

Alpha1

Administrator
You can get that without domain hosting. I am weary about getting locked in.

eva2000

Habitué
Last edited:

sbjsbj

Fan
Is that the cheapest in the market? I am also on namecheap and considering switching to it, but don't want to do it, if a year later the prices go up and it is the same. Not worth the hassle.

eva2000

Habitué
yes see https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-registrar/ they are offering cost price for domains so they are not making profit on the domain registrations or transfers and it's for life. Just like they do offering free SSL certificates.

The Cloudflare Registrar Promise
Today, on Cloudflare’s 8th birthday, we’re giving all our customers a present: a registrar they can love.

Here's the promise of the Cloudflare Registrar: we'll follow the best possible security practices and offer you the best possible price. What do we mean by that? From the security side, we promise we'll allow you to enable two-factor authentication, we’ll lock your domain registration by default, and automatically enable best-practice security services like DNSSEC.

From the price side it’s even simpler: we promise to never charge you anything more than the wholesale price each TLD charges. That’s true the first year and it’s true every subsequent year. If you register your domain with Cloudflare Registrar you’ll always pay the wholesale price with no markup.

FYI, auto enabling DNSSEC is currently not enabled during early access phase yet but plans to be.

Banxix

Enthusiast
yes see https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-registrar/ they are offering cost price for domains so they are not making profit on the domain registrations or transfers and it's for life. Just like they do offering free SSL certificates.

FYI, auto enabling DNSSEC is currently not enabled during early access phase yet but plans to be.

I'm still waiting for another wave next month.

Does it include whois privacy protection?

HWS

TAZ Member
Does it include whois privacy protection?

Public whois is a thing of the past since GDPR. No whois server shows personal data any more. So privacy protection is not needed any more in general. ;-)

they are not making profit on the domain registrations or transfers

I am sure they don't do this for nothing. There is a price below the "wholesale" price, specially for very large registrars. But it is a very good offer, especially for all people who want to use Cloudflare CDN services anyway.

I like to use our own name servers and for me it is worth the 10-15% higher price. But -as soon as I get access- I will try their services and write a review. :)