Cloud Cloud VPS?

DaveL

Habitué
Probably a silly question, but is Centminmod a replacement for Plesk?

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
No Plesk is a full control panel Centminmod is not that. Centiminmod is optimized for preformance.

DaveL

Habitué
Centminmod is a server stack optimized for applications like xenforo. Its created by eva2000
https://centminmod.com/
I saw this in the faq which confused me

The goal of the Centmin Mod menu based installation was to make it easier to manage without the aid of a control panel. Centmin Mod definitely doesn't work with WHM/Cpanel, Plesk or DirectAdmin

Alpha1

Administrator
Let me put it this way:

Pro's:
  • highly optimized package suited for xenforo
  • includes all the best modules and server software
  • better performance means less server resources needed
Con's:
  • works through command line. i.e. no admin panel. There is a learning curve.
This is why I advised to hire someone like MattW or mysiteguy to set it up.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Centiminmod is a high learning curve if you do not know certain tasks trough command line you will need help, this will cost money.

DaveL

Habitué
Thanks. I think it's something I'll give a miss. Hopefully moving from shared to vps will be a speed increase!

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Dont forget with plesk you can setup ngnix proxy and additional cache. So while not 100% optimized you can create a nice boost.

Al.Ch

Aspirant
I currently use www.ezee.co.uk in the UK.

I'm currently looking at the option on OVH.co.uk - They offer VPS SSD for £5.99 a month:

OpenStack KVM
1 vCore(s)
From 2 GHz
4 GB RAM
40 GB SSD NEW
Local RAID

However adding on cPanel adds an additional £8.49 a month. I've only used cPanel before. Are any of the following options they offer just as easy to use?

View attachment 52816
If I were you I would not use cPanel or Plesk. They are both resource heavy and since you are looking for an entry level VPS, I would recommend using DirectAdmin.

As I mentioned before I registered my domains at Aionets.com, recently (about 3 months ago) I ordered a Cloud Server (2 VCPU and 4GB of RAM) from them with DirectAdmin license. Since I didn't want to pay alot, I did not order a support plan and I asked then for FreeBSD to be installed as my operating system. Now I am almost managing everything myself using DirectAdmin and sometimes I ask their support for basic stuffs and they are pretty helpful. Good enough for me.

After 3 months I am in love with FreeBSD/NGiNX and PHP-FPM :D

Including the DirectAdmin license I am paying 9.95 USD/month with no limitation on domains :D

DaveL

Habitué
Sods law! Still waiting for my VPS to be set up. Contacted Strato (Thanks again Google Translate!) and they are sending a PIN to my home address as a security measure! Hopefully Germany to UK post wont take too long!

DaveL

Habitué
If I were you I would not use cPanel or Plesk. They are both resource heavy and since you are looking for an entry level VPS, I would recommend using DirectAdmin.

As I mentioned before I registered my domains at Aionets.com, recently (about 3 months ago) I ordered a Cloud Server (2 VCPU and 4GB of RAM) from them with DirectAdmin license. Since I didn't want to pay alot, I did not order a support plan and I asked then for FreeBSD to be installed as my operating system. Now I am almost managing everything myself using DirectAdmin and sometimes I ask their support for basic stuffs and they are pretty helpful. Good enough for me.

After 3 months I am in love with FreeBSD/NGiNX and PHP-FPM :D

Including the DirectAdmin license I am paying 9.95 USD/month with no limitation on domains :D

Thanks for that. In the grand scheme of things, my forum is small - just slightly too big for shared hosting.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Sods law! Still waiting for my VPS to be set up. Contacted Strato (Thanks again Google Translate!) and they are sending a PIN to my home address as a security measure! Hopefully Germany to UK post wont take too long!

My PIN was done by phone i needed to provide a phone number and bank account.

DaveL

Habitué
My PIN was done by phone i needed to provide a phone number and bank account.
Ah interesting.
I had to provide bank account details when I signed up, so they have them details. I did email back asking if I could send them a copy of my driving licence to try and speed things along.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Ah interesting.
I had to provide bank account details when I signed up, so they have them details. I did email back asking if I could send them a copy of my driving licence to try and speed things along.

Well i paid with ideal (Netherlands bank payment) so you pay like x amount and you are done.

DaveL

Habitué
In the end I went with Contabo - Very impressed with what you get for the price and the customer service is top knotch.

Exa-Kent

Aspirant
Buddy, I think you can try the cloud VPS because loading speed will become faster than shared hosting if traffic increasing more and more.