Cloud hosting vs Web hosting

AbbyNormal

Neophyte
Hi all,

Looking forward to talking with you all since I plan to finally start my own site. I've been learning a bit here and there since 2009, but have a lot to figure out. I'm usually the "trial and error" type, and that works well to an extent, but I'd like to get off on the right foot in some areas I feel are most important.

I want to go with Hostgator, but when I went there, I say they have something I hadn't known about until today, cloud hosting. It sounds so much better/reliable, so I would like to talk to you about that on this thread.

I'll give you some basics about what I want to build (using a Simple Machines Template). A social forum with no other focus than topics that senior citizens are interested in. I am a senior myself, and have belonged to two, such forums, and I have what I think are good ideas on how to improve on forum.

I can tell you I am building this site for fun, not money, but at the same time, if it generates income one day, I wouldn't turn it down;)

I guess my biggest concern is having enough space if I go with a regular web hosting plan. I imagine I will have 20 or fewer friends join, and expect it could take a year before it might grow any larger. So I'm thinking either the Hatchling Cloud plan, or the normal Hatchling plan. I know the difference between a mb and gb but really don't know how much a forum needs.

Any feedback, or suggestions are welcome;) I am very teachable, and plan to remain that way;)

Localnode

Neophyte
I want to go with Hostgator, but when I went there, I say they have something I hadn't known about until today, cloud hosting. It sounds so much better/reliable, so I would like to talk to you about that on this thread.
Hostgator is EIG. EIG are notoriously bad. Choose a different host.Avoid EIG - a list of brands they own (not complete) can be viewed here.
Sure, cloud sounds reliable - but a lot of the time it isn't. There's a plethora of hosts advertising that they are cloud - where in fact it's just standard stuff with an hourly billing option.

I'll give you some basics about what I want to build (using a Simple Machines Template). A social forum with no other focus than topics that senior citizens are interested in. I am a senior myself, and have belonged to two, such forums, and I have what I think are good ideas on how to improve on forum.
Any web host should be able to accommodate this. Cloud or otherwise.

I guess my biggest concern is having enough space if I go with a regular web hosting plan. I imagine I will have 20 or fewer friends join, and expect it could take a year before it might grow any larger. So I'm thinking either the Hatchling Cloud plan, or the normal Hatchling plan. I know the difference between a mb and gb but really don't know how much a forum needs.
All I can say is avoid the EIG brands.

Joel R

Fan
You can also check out WordPress.org free hosting or Invision Power community in the cloud

doubt

Tazmanian
So I'm thinking either the Hatchling Cloud plan, or the normal Hatchling plan.
Choose the "normal Hatchling plan".
After a while when you have experience, you can choose whatever you like.

AbbyNormal

Neophyte
Hostgator is EIG. EIG are notoriously bad. Choose a different host.Avoid EIG - a list of brands they own (not complete) can be viewed here.
Sure, cloud sounds reliable - but a lot of the time it isn't. There's a plethora of hosts advertising that they are cloud - where in fact it's just standard stuff with an hourly billing option.

I'm not familiar with EIG, but I'll check your link. Thank you for the information, as I'd like to get know exactly what I'm getting into taking on a forum site. I was thinking about starting out just using a "free" host, and see how it goes building a site, trying it out. What I'd like to do is keep it off the internet until I have it right. Paying for a host while I'm trying to get the thing built seems silly, especially if I find it too overwhelming, and hard for me to accomplish. I used to have Dreamweaver and was looking up free alternatives to that program. I found a few, although I don't want to try building from scratch. I have to learn every step of the way, and I can just have the template and make a few minor changes if I want to.

I had thought about Wordpress but they don't have "free" hosting do they? Only free blogs as I remember?? I'll check it out too though:)

AbbyNormal

Neophyte
Choose the "normal Hatchling plan".
After a while when you have experience, you can choose whatever you like.
I think if I go with Hostgator, I will do exactly that. I am especially leery about the "cloud" hosting after what Localnode had to say.

Thank you much, I was surprised to see so much help, although I'm new to the forum so didn't know how active it is here;)

AbbyNormal

Neophyte
You can also check out WordPress.org free hosting or Invision Power community in the cloud
Ok Joel, thanks for your info as well. I didn't realize Wordpress had free hosting, I mean besides blogs. Seems I remember seeing some info on how their blogs have changed though, so you can make them look like a website;)

Can you are someone here tell me how to give you guys reps for helping me?? I don't see the option?

AbbyNormal

Neophyte
I forgot to mention that I still have the name for my website, domain I mean. I bought it through namecheap so with a free site, I can still have it as my .com.

AbbyNormal

Neophyte

I never knew anything about this, I so appreciate the info!! Figures that monopolizing would happen online, just as easy as offline. Thanks so much, I am going to look at Wordpress now. I don't know why, when I've tried in the past, I have such a hard time navigating Wordpress. I used to have a blog at blogspot years ago, or at least started one. Then I tried using Wordpress with Hostgator the last time I was serious about building a site and just found it a pain. I'll go look again though.

AbbyNormal

Neophyte
Ok, sorry, I see how to multi-quote now on your forum. I am super overwhelmed with toooooooooo many choices for webhosting guys:( Since I have my domain name, I want to have my .com, so need to pay for hosting I think. I believe I'll be much, more committed to succeeding with this venture if I have to pay, even a small amount. I need to pay by the month, and the was a big attraction with Hostgator. Do you know of any of these sites that are non-EIG that you can pay by the month?

I just think free webhosting will not have all the bells and whistles I want, so I won't be happy without them. I want the FTP option, so I can upload a site I may decide to build. Hawkhost has lower prices, but I don't know yet if it's pay by the month, or has that option. Anyway, feedback welcome, denise