do you prefer circle or square avatars?

• Circle

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Square

Votes: 38 80.9%

• Total voters

OUTL4W

<style>OUTL4W GFX</style> :p
this may be just a trivial question but just wondering what are other members opinions if they prefer rounded or square avatars?

Last edited:

Somniloquent

Enthusiast
Circles are often used for avatars because they work well for people's faces, and the shape distinguishes it as an avatar rather than just another graphic on the page. So for sites where people are likely to use faces for their avatars, I prefer it.

But if your site is about something like motorcycles and people are likely to include those as their avatar, then circles wouldn't make sense.

doubt

Tazmanian
Square.
Uploading a square which becomes circle could cut off important parts from the image.
(Not from mine in this forum :p)

mysiteguy

Fanatic

Seriously though, I prefer square. I'd worry about user complaints about their uploaded icon having its corners cut off.

R0binHood

Habitué
I think the best solution to keep everyone happy, is simply to have both.

Courtesy of CSS animations :D

R0binHood

Habitué
I think I just did some legit forum innovation this evening. These new moving and transitioning avatars are going to be all the rage soon :D

R0binHood

Habitué
CSS and chrome web inspector. You can animate web pages using css animation now. Then recorded the browser animating it using licecap, which generates the gif.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
I don't really have a preference, so long as the aspect ratio isn't changed.

JoyGoRound

Aspirant
Traditionally, square is my choice. I do kinda like the circlely ones on youtube, though. :)