Checking if my forum comply with GDPR

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Upload filters are against the General Data Protection Regulation, although you haven't mentioned that. Automated decisions may be as-well to a certain degree.

Reading someone's PMs without satisfying a public interest may be a violation.

The user doesn't have to be able to delete their account, it simply needs to be deleted in a timely basis when they request for it to be done.

Data collection should be limited, although local law preempts the GDPR. The U.S. doesn't have any data retention law, to my knowledge. They tried to pass one and it went up in flames due to public outcry.

You should make users aware of exactly what data you're collecting on them.

You may want to consult a lawyer for specifics in your area.

Faust

Enthusiast
Upload filters are against the General Data Protection Regulation, although you haven't mentioned that. Automated decisions may be as-well to a certain degree.

Reading someone's PMs without satisfying a public interest may be a violation.

The user doesn't have to be able to delete their account, it simply needs to be deleted in a timely basis when they request for it to be done.

Data collection should be limited, although local law preempts the GDPR. The U.S. doesn't have any data retention law, to my knowledge. They tried to pass one and it went up in flames due to public outcry.

You should make users aware of exactly what data you're collecting on them.

You may want to consult a lawyer for specifics in your area.
Thanks. At the moment I'm using still standard xenforo privacy policy. I've used a privacy policy genarator to produce a more detailed one, but I disactivated.

I saw that even big forums are using standard one, my forum is around 300 members. So it's very small forum.

Faust

Enthusiast
By the way, I'm a bit confused regarding Upload Filters. What does this means?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
In short they are designed to filter out content that might result in a site owner from receiving a copyright infringement claim or require them to buy licenses from rights-holders. It was a proposal made under the EU Article 13 Directive.

I have no idea if it passed into law but regardless it's aimed at the likes of YouTube and not small forum owners who will almost certainly fly under the radar.

Faust

Enthusiast
In short they are designed to filter out content that might result in a site owner from receiving a copyright infringement claim or require them to buy licenses from rights-holders. It was a proposal made under the EU Article 13 Directive.

I have no idea if it passed into law but regardless it's aimed at the likes of YouTube and not small forum owners who will almost certainly fly under the radar.
Thanks a lot. I started to worry about that. As I said my forum is really small, under 300 members.

voodoochill

Aspirant
Although xenforo itself and its own addons are compliant, there are indeed addons that are very uncompliant. For example there is a duplicate account detection addon that uses evercookie and digital fingerprinting.

There are probably quite a few more, maybe anything that publicises a user's geographical location as opt out rather than optin.

Faust

Enthusiast
Although xenforo itself and its own addons are compliant, there are indeed addons that are very uncompliant. For example there is a duplicate account detection addon that uses evercookie and digital fingerprinting.

There are probably quite a few more, maybe anything that publicises a user's geographical location as opt out rather than optin.
Mostly I’m using TH addons, which I spoke to them and they said that addons are compliant with GDPR