ChatBB | Growing Forum | A community that cares!

Senpie

Aspirant
What is the name of your forum/website?: ChatBB

Description of your forum's topic?: General/Misc

What is the URL?: http://chatbb.pw

Date of launch?: 07-17-2016

What software do you use for this forum?: MyBB

Additional details about your forum you might want to add: We have numerous topics and discussions for everyone to participate in along with numerous site features hat are available to all registered users.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Most of your "6K" posts seem to be RSS/XML feed reposts, which the online equivalent of junk mail and not "Great Discussion." Put effort into actually creating something people find useful and your forum might stand a chance of success. Or take the easy way out with regurgitated content and you'll find yourself in the "why did my forum fail" camp so many do.

Senpie

Aspirant
Most of your "6K" posts seem to be RSS/XML feed reposts, which the online equivalent of junk mail and not "Great Discussion." Put effort into actually creating something people find useful and your forum might stand a chance of success. Or take the easy way out with regurgitated content and you'll find yourself in the "why did my forum fail" camp so many do.

Wrong. Most of the 6k posts that we have come from another forum that merged with us, not RSS/XML feed reposts.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
What I saw was a lot of 1 thread news style posts (some with broken images) and many threads where it was primarily admins talked to each other. Perhaps the forum you merged had a lot of that? Wrong or not, it is the impression I recieve, and maybe you can ask yourself why someone would get that impression?

And with that in mind, my opinions:

- The site felt too dark, I know some people prefer dark themes, but to me dark themes convey the impression it's either a about games/gamers or filled with users who gamers. Great if you have a gamer site, maybe not so much if you don't. There's a reason why high traffic social network and e-commerce sites (Ebay, Facebook, Amazon, Google, Yahoo, Reddit, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, etc) choose light themes: they tend to be easiest to read, and turn off fewer people than darker themes.

- Anyone without 20/20 vision might have difficulty with some of the smaller fonts you're using. Even on my 27" monitor some of the sub-text was small.

- A ".pw" domain works against you. If you met a stranger on the street and told them your domain, and it ends with pw, odds are they will soon forget it. Use your country's top level domain, or perhaps a .com/.net if that's more appropriate for where you are.

- Some of the discussion (a lot actually), feels like its admins, friends or family trying really hard to come up with topics to talk about that are interesting, and falling short of this goal. So instead it comes across as fluff and shallow.... topics like "What is your favorite color?", "Do you like candy corn?", "What's the weather like?", "Favorite time of year", etc. With a general topic forum, you're really going to need engaging general discussion.

Senpie

Aspirant
What I saw was a lot of 1 thread news style posts (some with broken images) and many threads where it was primarily admins talked to each other. Perhaps the forum you merged had a lot of that? Wrong or not, it is the impression I recieve, and maybe you can ask yourself why someone would get that impression?

And with that in mind, my opinions:

- The site felt too dark, I know some people prefer dark themes, but to me dark themes convey the impression it's either a about games/gamers or filled with users who gamers. Great if you have a gamer site, maybe not so much if you don't. There's a reason why high traffic social network and e-commerce sites (Ebay, Facebook, Amazon, Google, Yahoo, Reddit, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, etc) choose light themes: they tend to be easiest to read, and turn off fewer people than darker themes.

- Anyone without 20/20 vision might have difficulty with some of the smaller fonts you're using. Even on my 27" monitor some of the sub-text was small.

- A ".pw" domain works against you. If you met a stranger on the street and told them your domain, and it ends with pw, odds are they will soon forget it. Use your country's top level domain, or perhaps a .com/.net if that's more appropriate for where you are.

- Some of the discussion (a lot actually), feels like its admins, friends or family trying really hard to come up with topics to talk about that are interesting, and falling short of this goal. So instead it comes across as fluff and shallow.... topics like "What is your favorite color?", "Do you like candy corn?", "What's the weather like?", "Favorite time of year", etc. With a general topic forum, you're really going to need engaging general discussion.

I don't really find much of an issue with the ".pw" domain, nor do the other users and people I have talked too, I may consider switching it later but for now we will stay on this domain.

I also don't see much of an issue with the dark theme either, I know of a few large MyBB forums that use a dark theme with over a million members with 100's active daily.

Also the text/fonts, I'll work on that in a bit to make things more readable.

As for the discussion, what type of topics do you find "engaging"?

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Political, a celebrity in trouble, something shocking, controversy, major news, technological break-thru, etc. Go to reddit's home page and see what's trending, its the most successful general forum there is.

Senpie

Aspirant
Political, a celebrity in trouble, something shocking, controversy, major news, technological break-thru, etc. Go to reddit's home page and see what's trending, its the most successful general forum there is.

Thanks for your feedback, we will work on the content more to get the community more engaged. :)

D

Deleted member 62835

The News section, and therefore the News style post, make up less then 500 post...

Intelligence

Aspirant
We were down for the weekend, however, that doesn't make us stop. We are confident and determined to continue, anyways user bars coming soon.

Expect Greatness.

Maddox

Habitué
Lots of errors being returned on your site - every forum I click this is the end result:

upload_2016-8-3_6-51-57.png

Clicking on Points returns this:

upload_2016-8-3_6-52-48.png

Not every part returns errors but the most important parts do - might want to check your URLS.

:whistle: