Chat or Shoutbox or both?

kal

Participant
Wasn't sure where to put this but since I am on IPB I thought I would start here.

I am getting ready to upgrade to 3.0 and I am thinking of turning on a the Shoutbox. I have Live Chat running on the site now and the members use it occasionally. I am wondering if the Shoutbox would be a better option. Or if I should consider having both.

Any thoughts?

DevilDamo

Aspirant
Excuse me for being ignorant, but what's the difference?

Are you sure that Live Chat is only 3.0.x. and it's not just a 2.3.x application? Meaning... has Live Chat in 2.3.x been replaced by the Shoutbox in 3.0.x?

kal

Participant
Excuse me for being ignorant, but what's the difference?

Are you sure that Live Chat is only 3.0.x. and it's not just a 2.3.x application? Meaning... has Live Chat in 2.3.x been replaced by the Shoutbox in 3.0.x?
Live Chat hasn't replaced Shoutbox. The Live Chat I have running on my current (2.3.x) site is a separate application.

The Shoutbox is like a mini Chat Room. It is very limited in features. There is a Shoutbox mod available for 2.3.x and 3.0. I am assuming Live Chat will work for 3.0 as well.

Caliope

70's Fashion Icon
Personally, I don't see the point of chat rooms or shout boxes on a forum. To me, they reduce the amount of posting on the boards. On a forum I mod on we have a shoutbox, it gets plenty of use and is pruned on a 24 hour cycle so anything interesting gets deleted.

What's the point of that?

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle
I wouldn't suggest having either of them enabled unless you really feel that you need a way to chat with your members.

Chatboxes/shoutboxes, chat rooms and IRC channels take activity away from forums, so if you want your forum to be more active you really shouldn't have any of them.

And having 2 ways to chat, I've seen that on one site I used to visit, they had an IRC channel and added flash chat, the flash chat is basically dead because everyone uses their IRC channel.

kal

Participant
Personally, I don't see the point of chat rooms or shout boxes on a forum. To me, they reduce the amount of posting on the boards. On a forum I mod on we have a shoutbox, it gets plenty of use and is pruned on a 24 hour cycle so anything interesting gets deleted.

What's the point of that?

I wouldn't suggest having either of them enabled unless you really feel that you need a way to chat with your members.

Chatboxes/shoutboxes, chat rooms and IRC channels take activity away from forums, so if you want your forum to be more active you really shouldn't have any of them.

And having 2 ways to chat, I've seen that on one site I used to visit, they had an IRC channel and added flash chat, the flash chat is basically dead because everyone uses their IRC channel.
Hmmm. I didn't think of that. With my members they would probably spend all their time in the shoutbox.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Shoutboxes are a pet hate of mine. They look awful - especially as members always seem to revert to textspeak in them, they're spammy and, the main thing, they detract from forum activity.

If you must have one, put it right at the bottom of your site, visible only to members (and not guests) and set some kind of permissions on it so only members who have x amount of posts can use it :p

But personally I'd steer clear of them completely.

Cham

Neophyte
Doesn't IPB have Gmail style chat for private messages now? I could see that being handy.

Karll

Adherent
I'm not so sure it's always universally a bad thing. Yes, you take some activity away from the threads, but one would hope it's the kind of activity that results in "low quality" posts. I.e. off-topic posts about the weather, what's on TV, what you had for lunch and so on.

Karll

Adherent
Because if people have the choice between a forum and the more immediate chatroom, they'll probably just use the chatroom and use the forum less.
A shoutbox is quite spartan and not suited to actual discussion. It's a very different experience to a forum. I really do not think forum members will use that instead of the forum to any significant degree.

Joel R

Fan
Yes - and that is one of the great features of forums!
It's also one of the great flaws.

Timeliness of content can be important. In this case, IPS doesn't even offer a first-party chat anymore.