Changes to "Let's Encrypt" - September 2021

Zelda

Enthusiast
I am uncertain if this is the correct forum to share this news with or not. Please forgive me if I am in the wrong forum.

I know not everyone subscribes to general e-mail. Lord knows, most developments have the poor habit of "spamming" their poor interested parties to death. So on occasion, I fear little important details can sometimes slip through the cracks. That all said, I thought it was worth bringing up that, Let's Encrypt, which provides free SSL certificates, is making a notable change this coming September 2021.

On September 30, there will be a change in how older browsers and devices trust Let's Encrypt certificates, resulting in a minor decrease in incompatibility. If you run a typical website, you won't notice a difference. Devices and browsers running up-to-date software will continue working fine, and we've taken steps to make sure the vast majority of older devices will too. If you run a large website or need to support less common software (particularly non-browser software), you'll want to read about the details at:

In either case, no action is required from you. We're letting you know so you can provide answers to any questions your site visitors may have.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I wouldn’t expect this to affect most of us here to be honest, most of us here are using either current gen or last gen devices/browsers which can support the newer certificate normally.

iPhone 4 users for example (2012 or so?) might be out of luck though.