Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
When it comes to managing your message forum, what is your style on chain of commands? What I mean by this is let's say you have three staff "ranks" if you will:
  1. Administrator
  2. Super Moderator
  3. Board Moderator
Do you leave it like that? If yes, do you have multiple admins, multiple super-mods, etc.?

Or do you create some sort of special chain of command like...
  • Owner
  • Chief of Staff
  • Supervisor
  • Leader
  • Etc. Use your imagination
What is your feelings on creating unique staff titles and positions for a forum chain of command? A good idea or cheesy?

phatcows

Adherent
What is your feelings on creating unique staff titles and positions for a forum chain of command? A good idea or cheesy?
We had the standard staff ranks for years. Years! But only in the last year have we split out roles into more specific areas. This is primarily because everyone is a volunteer and sometimes 'Real Life' gets in the way of the Forum.

Now we have
  • a mostly dormant Owner (who is a personal friend so I can call on him whenever needed)
  • Xenforo Admin
  • Server Admin
  • General Admin (currently on extended leave)
  • Content Moderator
  • Discord Moderator
  • and a couple of general Moderators
To be honest, I could cull the two general moderators, but they are really there for overlap when others are not available.

haqzore

Devotee
  • a mostly dormant Owner (who is a personal friend so I can call on him whenever needed)
  • Xenforo Admin
  • Server Admin
  • General Admin (currently on extended leave)
  • Content Moderator
  • Discord Moderator
  • and a couple of general Moderators
So what's the difference between the "Xenforo" and "General" admin?

What's the difference between "Content" moderator and "general" moderator?

phatcows

Adherent
So what's the difference between the "Xenforo" and "General" admin?
The General admin oversees both the server admin and the Xenforo admin. 'Oversees' isn't really the right term. Deal breaker?
General admin have the final say on decisions that affect the whole forum. Also they tend to have a grasp on a little bit of everything that happens, as opposed to the Xenforo admin who primarily deal with everything software and the Server admin who looks after everything hardware.

What's the difference between "Content" moderator and "general" moderator?
Our forum relies heavily on content that needs to meet strict rules, so we have moderators (and an admin, usually) that make sure the content is compliant.
A general moderator keeps the peace, but to be honest they are more legacy titles now. We only have a few hundred posts a day and the content moderator can handle them just fine.

Penguin

Aspirant
For the gaming community I run, I have a 'Global' moderation team that can moderate all public areas. Then for each game that we support, we have 'Game Managers' that have moderation permissions to their game forums only, that way they can help out in that regard without there being too much risk of power abuse or GMs in other's sections etc.

Above the Moderation team are the Community Managers, who oversee everything and move the community forward, and then there's me :p

Joel R

Fan
For the gaming community I run, I have a 'Global' moderation team that can moderate all public areas. Then for each game that we support, we have 'Game Managers' that have moderation permissions to their game forums only, that way they can help out in that regard without there being too much risk of power abuse or GMs in other's sections etc.

Above the Moderation team are the Community Managers, who oversee everything and move the community forward, and then there's me :p
How many members do you have? This seems like some heavy layers of moderation.

Penguin

Aspirant
How many members do you have? This seems like some heavy layers of moderation.
200+ on Forums, 300+ on Discord Server. The plan is for our GMs (Game Managers) to recruit members for their games. Their forum Moderation permissions are more just to move topics / general housekeeping, but it also allows them to keep their section of the forums safe, while the Moderation team can oversee the lot. Although it is a few layers of Moderation, the user's don't really see this, and they see it as we have a good staff team to keep the forums engaging etc. It works either-way :p

Morrigan

I put the Cute in Exe"cute".
This is actually a fun topic for me. I base my site staff structure on Star Trek.

There is me, the admin/captain (but I'm still called the Admin). Then I have 3 COs for my different staffing "departments". Communications, Contributions and Operations and from there there are the staff within those departments. Each department has a specific purpose and that's what they focus on. It works because the expectations are clear. In fact staff members have a little note in their post bit that says that they are a staff member and you can contact me about X, where X is the jobs that they are responsible for.

Lala

Participant
We have:

- Site admin aka owner - access to server; identified as "admin" on forums.
- Admin - access to forum admin CP.
- Mod - access to moderate user-created content.

Any user with post count of 1K or higher can edit their user title, but Admin/Mod label is not editable. We're a mental health site, need things clear and simple, and custom ranks/positions tend to be confusing/frustrating to members.

Historically we tried board moderators, chat moderators - those who only moderate a specific section - and that didn't work for us. Each mod has a section they are responsible for, but any mod can edit/move/delete any post if needed, set topic for any chatroom, etc. When a member needs assistance - they should be able to ask anyone on staff, we don't visit our internal arrangements on members.

Generally, mods do routine housekeeping based on existing policies/structure/framework while admins set/modify this framework. However, there are just a few of us, so that's flexible. Mods chip in on site-wide decisions if they have something to say. One of the admins is more comfortable following rules than creating them, but they are an admin rather than a mod so as to have authority over other mods and as a fallback in case of emergencies, if I get in a car crash or something.

Currently we have three site admins (one active, two dormant), two forum admins, and two mods. 8k members, 400k forum posts. A lot of user-created non-forum content too, but I don't know how to measure that; about 2k items of various type/size. We could use 2-3 more mods, but too busy to train at the moment, the site is going through a transition.

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
This is actually a fun topic for me. I base my site staff structure on Star Trek.

There is me, the admin/captain (but I'm still called the Admin). Then I have 3 COs for my different staffing "departments". Communications, Contributions and Operations and from there there are the staff within those departments. Each department has a specific purpose and that's what they focus on. It works because the expectations are clear. In fact staff members have a little note in their post bit that says that they are a staff member and you can contact me about X, where X is the jobs that they are responsible for.
I'm interested to know more about what you have each department doing and responsible for.

Morrigan

I put the Cute in Exe"cute".
Contributions are the people that take care of member contribution stuff to make sure they follow the provided rules. Things like approving guides, approving directory listings, approving new contributions to anything that requires it as well as maintaining it and settling any issues with them.

Operations is are the people that help with the basic every day running of the site. Managing reports, deleting duplicate posts, contributing to staff run resources like reviews etc.

Communications are those that deal with people. They reach out to problem members, they try to assist new members, they also take care of the social media for me and, if needed, reach out to other communities on an as needed basis.

haqzore

Devotee

How do global mods and community managers differ in permissions?

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
KISS is a good method to use I think..

Otherwise we do have certain mods handle certain areas of the forum just to make sure everyone is covering everything.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!

If you're going for the ST structure then you need to go old school and have one person, and only one, designated as "Number One". :D

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
Call me odd or weird, but I never used any ranks or titles for the staff and crew on any board I have owned or managed.. In fact I conceal the admin and staff completely - no listings in group lists, so special rank badges or banners, no formatted usernames, not even custom user titles.

haqzore

Devotee
Call me odd or weird, but I never used any ranks or titles for the staff and crew on any board I have owned or managed.. In fact I conceal the admin and staff completely - no listings in group lists, so special rank badges or banners, no formatted usernames, not even custom user titles.
i like this, and have done it also.