Catch-all XF 2.1: Upgrade discussion/feedback/issues/etc.

haqzore

Devotee
Hope this topic is ok?

First question: will we get back all of the positive reputation that was lost with the removal of the old reactions system?

Edit: Just saw this, so maybe?

I’m not fully done yet. Style to follow and addons.

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
On TAZ Dark style, the post text (gray) seems insufficiently contrasting to the dark gray background. This seems like an accessibility issue in addition to just making it kind of annoying to read threads.

haqzore

Devotee
Comment: I think Join Date is far more useful than post count (in the post bit).

Knowing someone has 10-15-whatever years of experience tells me far more, at a glance, than a post count which could easily be inflated by off topic stuff/etc.

Of course folks could be running sites for decades before joining, but, my opinion stands :)

phatcows

Adherent
I think Join Date is far more useful than post count (in the post bit).
I think both on their own are useless.

Join date means nothing if it's not linked to something else. Someone could join in 2005 then not log in for 10 years. Or, lurk.

The reputation system plus post count was at least a useful guide because you could see the members' post count, and then how 'well received' their messages were in the Forum. IMHO, someone with a high post count but low rep suggested that the member was prolific poster but not always on point, whereas someone with a lower post count, but rep similar to their post number (or for some members, more rep than their post count!) only posts information that is considered relevant, informative, or valuable.

Russ

Administrator
Ask Me Anything
Visit
On TAZ Dark style, the post text (gray) seems insufficiently contrasting to the dark gray background. This seems like an accessibility issue in addition to just making it kind of annoying to read threads.
I made a few changes here. The dark needs a bit of work that I'll be tidying up here shortly.

haqzore

Devotee
I think both on their own are useless.

Join date means nothing if it's not linked to something else. Someone could join in 2005 then not log in for 10 years. Or, lurk.

The reputation system plus post count was at least a useful guide because you could see the members' post count, and then how 'well received' their messages were in the Forum. IMHO, someone with a high post count but low rep suggested that the member was prolific poster but not always on point, whereas someone with a lower post count, but rep similar to their post number (or for some members, more rep than their post count!) only posts information that is considered relevant, informative, or valuable.
Fair points.

As far as "not logging in for 10 years" and "lurking" - neither means they haven't ran communities during that time.

Agree on the rep system being meaningful, 100%.

Agree overall with what you've said.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
The light style as well, the contrast between post font color and foreground is less than it was before.

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
I'd like to see a larger font size and a more noticeable link color.

Knowing somebody else has been around as long as me doesn't tell me that they have experience, it just tell me that they are about as old as me. :coffee:
I don't think that's much of an indicator. I joined a couple years after you, but I'm 70 years old. I don't think you're even close to that, are you?

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
I made a few changes here. The dark needs a bit of work that I'll be tidying up here shortly.
As a part of that, I have a few notes. I rely pretty heavily on unread markers for forums and topics.

1. There is no visual indicator that a topic is unread other than a bold title. I realize this is probably more of a XenForo thing rather than specific to this site, but there should be... something, like a dot which is pretty standard. Right now, it's hard to tell which topics I have read and which I haven't yet.

(1) XenForo | The Admin Zone 2020-01-09 10-36-55.jpg

2. The unread indicator for forums is way to subtle - see the attached image. You can barely tell that XenForo is the unread forum here.

(1) Forum Software  The Admin Zone 2020-01-09 10-30-54.jpg

3. On the previous version, staff names (at least admins - though it should be applied to all) were red rather than dark blue, which contrasted better against the dark background. That should be brought back.

(1) Catch-all XF 2.1: Upgrade discussion:feedback:issues:etc. | The Admin Zone 2020-01-09 10-3...jpg

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
In regards to the new style... is anybody else seeing the post bit like this in Chrome? On small viewports in Chrome I'm seeing this in both mobile & desktop devices.

1578584667908.png

doubt

Tazmanian
With Edge Beta loading the first page is fast now.
The problem with it now is that I have to log in every visit.
Login.JPG

Want to reply to a post?
login_again.JPG

Alfa1

Administrator
The redirect to https is gone.
On https the logo doesn't show (for me)

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
Russ The text color for Admins and staff need to be changed as it is really hard to read in the dark theme
Screenshot_1.png
My old eyes thank you :love:

haqzore

Devotee
I'll throw a comment that I think the "text" versions of the badges looks bad, and is pointless. Same information twice, right next to each other.

Though not all of them do that... IE Contributor doesn't seem to have a "text" version.