Can you help me find what software this site is using?

John H20

Aspirant
I like the software used here. It's nice and clean and simple, quite user friendly. When you want to make a post, all you have to do is copy and paste a url into a field. The title gets added automatically, and the post appears very nicely and simply, similar to when you share to FB. It also includes the link to the source.

I have been trying to discover which software they are using so that I can look into it myself, but so far have not been able to. The most I could learn was that it includes the use of Laravel. After looking around for what famous applications use Laravel, however, so far I was not able to find what looked like a match.

Can anyone determine what blog or forum or CMS platform the site is using? Thanks.

TLChris

Administrator
I'm not sure they are using a software that is sold - it could be completely custom.

If you have a builtwith.com account you might be able to learn more about it.

l3ta

Participant
Looks like a custom job meant to look and function like reddit. If it were commercially available, there would be more fora using it for sure :-0

John H20

Aspirant
Thanks all, I was really hoping it wasn't just custom, but I also had a feeling it might be, so I guess that's probably so. I did find a number of different sites to try to detect it with, including builtwith.com, and that's how I learned that they did use Laravel according to one of them.

Does anyone know of any platform in general that does something like that so conveniently, i.e. you just paste in a url, the post title is entered automatically from it, and then you just click to submit and it shows a nice presentation with a big image and source link?

Last edited:

John H20

Aspirant
what i get back is that its custom build with js, php etc.
Thanks. This was my first time even finding and using the tools to do that for non-wp sites, so I probably missed where it indicated custom build in one of them. They are not quite all the same in what they report, however, but I tried a bunch.

TLChris

Administrator
I don't see why you couldn't create something similar with Wordpress.

John H20

Aspirant
I don't see why you couldn't create something similar with Wordpress.
Well my skills are not exactly up to that level right now (I think), but if you know of any good (and hopefully easy) tools for pulling that off I'd certainly be grateful to learn of them. Right now all I can tell is that making posts to WP (self hosted) requires quite a bit of time consuming activity. That site is the best alternative I've seen yet. I really feel like there just has to be or at least should be a way to make posts to WP if not as easily to FB then at least 95% of the way there. That site definitely reaches the 95% mark. I frequently just paste urls into FB for instance instead of using share links.

John H20

Aspirant
Thanks, yes that must be the one I found which said they used Laravel. So I guess it's a custom job using Laravel and not some off the shelf software I can buy. I was hoping it was more like Flarum which is also built with Laravel.