Can I let users create custom "forums" in phpBB?

realmrfakename

Neophyte
Hello, in my phpBB forum, there are different sections. I want users to be able to create their own private "forums". Is there any way to do this?

screenshot_VVKGMTx5_on_05-51-04-PM_2021-05-09@2x.png

I want there to be a "Create Forum" button next to "All Topics".

I checked on the phpBB forum but there was nothing helpful about this subject.

Thank you in advance!

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Welcome to TAZ :)

I don't know of any way to facilitate this other than with permissions which wouldn't be wise. Hopefully someone else here might have a better idea.

salem

Adherent
As above ! That would require some administration permissions such as "can add new forums" , "can manage forums" which gives you the ability to create catagories , forums and subforums with no way of dictating which , plus it doesn't limit where the forums would be placed ending up with your board looking like a dissaster area .

As for a particular "create forum" button I'm afraid that would not be possible as ACP settings can only be accessed through the ACP log in itself i.e. any added link would not work re. security setting in the core , so yoursite/adm/index.php? will not work

Last edited:

Zelda

Enthusiast
If you intend to make phpBB more like Reddit in the way that you (anyone) can make their own forum, you will require a modification to extend that functionality to the public. In phpBB, this would be a significant alteration and not an easy one to maintain.

truthingtotruth

Aspirant
I'll confess that I have only just viewed this thread and so haven't had time to fully digest the idea here, but something came to mind that may have some merit. BUT I also agree that this idea is stepping into dangerous admin privileges territory and that almost became my end of focus until a split second after that it hit me that maybe you could devise a plan where you create sub-forums using your admin tools and then allow only mod operations to be done on those sub-forums and maybe create a couple different styles and let the community member choose a style you have already designed.

I have no clue if that is a good or bad or possible idea, but . . . well, there it is. Just in case there is merit in that thought.

Oh yes, I'd suggest a requirement that the community member that wants to take advantage of your offer, if that works, - - - a requirement that they write a 'for-public-viewing' document on why they want a sub-forum. Just a sub-thought there.

Zelda

Enthusiast
Before Grammarly ( grammarly.com )
I'll confess that I have only just viewed this thread and so haven't had time to fully digest the idea here, but something came to mind that may have some merit. BUT I also agree that this idea is stepping into dangerous admin privileges territory and that almost became my end of focus until a split second after that it hit me that maybe you could devise a plan where you create sub-forums using your admin tools and then allow only mod operations to be done on those sub-forums and maybe create a couple different styles and let the community member choose a style you have already designed.

I have no clue if that is a good or bad or possible idea, but . . . well, there it is. Just in case there is merit in that thought.

Oh yes, I'd suggest a requirement that the community member that wants to take advantage of your offer, if that works, - - - a requirement that they write a 'for-public-viewing' document on why they want a sub-forum. Just a sub-thought there.
After Grammarly:

I'll confess that I have only just viewed this thread and haven't had time to digest the idea here entirely, but something came to mind that may have some merit. But I agree that this idea is stepping into dangerous admin privileges territory (which almost became my end of focus until a split second after that). It hit me that maybe you could devise a plan where you create sub-forums using your admin tools. Then allow only mod operations to be done on those sub-forums, develop a couple of different styles, and let the community member choose a style you have already designed.

I have no clue if that is a good or bad or a possible idea. But well, there it is. Just in case there is merit in that thought.

Oh yes, I'd suggest a requirement that the community member wants to take advantage of your offer if that works. A requirement that they write a 'for public viewing' document on why they want a sub-forum. Just a sub-thought there.

I am not trying to pick on you, truthingtotruth I suspect you and I have something in common. We both write out abstract thoughts as they came. That is to say, we both have the habit of writing out how one would speak (or think) vs. how one would correctly write out something. And honestly, if I took the time to write out everything perfectly, I would half the time feel I had lost a little bit of me or would feel I had wasted my time and lost interest altogether. My compromise is I now implement Grammarly so that it is easier for others to follow me.

Hostboard

Participant
I have been doing this for years on vBulletin. We also offer more functions allowing the community to be customized and fully managed. However you are talking about a massive amount of custom coding.