Eastcoastgirl125

Neophyte
As a private citizen, I help admin a page for the town I live in. The page was created by 2 other private citizens, although they really are never on it, I basically run it.
We have no official affiliation with the town, like it's just a basic private group for neighbors to chat about random things.
I booted a guy for being negative, rude, and nasty.... (of course over town voting issues)
He is now threatening to sue me? Saying that because I allow politicians and or other public groups to post in the group it's now "public domain " and I am now liable and have created a legal "right to know" issue by blocking him and not them.....
Ummmmmm ... what?
It sounds to me like he is just trying to bully his way back into my group... anyone have any insite?

Karll

Adherent
That doesn't make it public domain. The costs of hosting the site are covered by private citizens, right? He doesn't have a case at all, but in the land of the free you can sue people for anything, is my impression.

cheat_master30

Fanatic
Nah, you won't be sued. This sort of behaviour is fairly common online, and the argument behind it would never hold up in court anyway. A private community isn't the public domain/public square, and mods/admins/owners are well within their right to kick people out.

Just look at the recent lawsuit with PragerU and YouTube for instance. They sued YouTube over free speech, and lost that one too:

And YouTube is far closer to a 'platform/protocol' than your Facebook group is.

Nabix

Can he sue? Yes. Is there a case? No. Is there a lawyer willing to do so, no.

Honestly, if that guy actually finds a lawyer to bring your issue to court, than it would work in you favor. He would loose. Your website, your rules. Also, he would have to pay your court fees for doing so. lol Don't worry about it. The dude is just pissed off and is being an obnoxious d*ck because his parents never taught him the meaning of no and you can't have everything you want.

Panupat

Habitué
Those kind of internet trolls won't have the funds to sue you for real. The ones who have the funds would also have the brain not to waste money suing.
Ignore him.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
As a general rule...

If a member threatens to sue me, I tell him to have his attorney contact me, and I stop conversing with him...

I have never been contacted by an attorney...

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
A citizen-made group of like-minded participants is not a government service they have any right to be granted access to. Participation in your discussion group is stringent on criterias you as the group managers are free to set, like individual approval, answering questions or phone/adress verification.

In the interest of preserving your local community from strife, just consider wether keeping him locked out of participation would be a positive or risks causing further issues (like the creation of splinter groups, harassment, realworld hostile actions...)