Burning Board vs Xenforo (Moving from VB3.8, Confused)

greatestmj

Aspirant
Hi guys,

Since morning I've been reading about both of these softwares and I am quite confused. I honestly like both of them. Currently I am running VB 3.8 with VBSEo URLs. Which one is better in the following:

Rewriting VBSEO urls into new seo friendly URLs with ease (anyone done this in Xen or BB?)
Conversion from VB to new software (My forum has 3.2million posts. Which one is easier to convert to?)
SEO Friendliness (SEO Features that helps you rank better, like VBSEO did back in the day)
Mobile Responsive (50% of my visitors are coming from Mobile)
Server Intensiveness (Lighter the better, less hosting costs)
Beautiful Design ( I liked WBB default theme more than Xenforo default theme, no idea about other themes)
Plugin/Addon Costs
Support in case of problem (Which has better and faster support?)
The Future (Which company has better future plans or looks to be moving in the right direction so far. Any interesting stuff to look out for in either companies plans for long term in the future?)

When I look at both, I find them similar and it feels like, no matter which I choose, things will be better only. But which one has the edge? I also noticed that $50 more has to be paid for Xenforo than WBB, but Xenforo is giving free update to 2.0 when it comes to active users and WBB will charge for every major update.

A person who has used both the forums, what is your view? Which one should I buy.

Thanks,
The only reason I am asking so many questions is because I am really confused between these two softwares. Both look amazing to me, imagine me coming from VB3.7 which is not even mobile responsive, suicidal for a site having 50% mobile referrals.

Phillip

The Priest
Hi guys,

Since morning I've been reading about both of these softwares and I am quite confused. I honestly like both of them. Currently I am running VB 3.8 with VBSEo URLs. Which one is better in the following:

Rewriting VBSEO urls into new seo friendly URLs with ease (anyone done this in Xen or BB?)
Conversion from VB to new software (My forum has 3.2million posts. Which one is easier to convert to?)
SEO Friendliness (SEO Features that helps you rank better, like VBSEO did back in the day)
Beautiful Design ( I liked WBB default theme more than Xenforo default theme, no idea about other themes)
Plugin/Addon Costs
The Future (Which company has better future plans or looks to be moving in the right direction so far. Any interesting stuff to look out for in either companies plans for long term in the future?)

When I look at both, I find them similar and it feels like, no matter which I choose, things will be better only. But which one has the edge? I also noticed that $50 more has to be paid for Xenforo than WBB, but Xenforo is giving free update to 2.0 when it comes to active users and WBB will charge for every major update.

A person who has used both the forums, what is your view? Which one should I buy.

Thanks,
The only reason I am asking so many questions is because I am really confused between these two softwares. Both look amazing to me, imagine me coming from VB3.7 which is not even mobile responsive, suicidal for a site having 50% mobile referrals.
Either one you pick, are both good choices. I have XF and I'm working on getting WBB sometime today or so to work with it. XenForo has just released 1.5.0 and I'm not exactly sure what version of WBB there is.

GTB

Tazmanian
I'm not exactly sure what version of WBB there is.
WBB 4.1.6 is current version

That is correct, easy to get confused between how XF do it, and how WBB do it. If WBB forum, or any add-ons jump to a new major release like going from 2.0.x to 2.1.x. You have to pay an upgrade free to use the 2.1 version. I recently made that mistake after buying FileBase and not realising while 2.1 of it is in Beta still after testing it, not thinking the license bought only covers me to use 2.0 stable version and not 2.1 because it's not released as gold yet. So now I have to pay an upgrade fee when 2.1 of Filebase goes gold to use that. A mistake on my part and should have waited until it went 2.1 gold version really but didn't realise at time how they work it.

The difference is that WBB don't do 12 month 'license renewals', instead you pay a free (usually a smaller upgrade fee) if already having a license to install a new major branch version of it released.

Last edited:

demon326

Enthusiast
WBB do it. If WBB forum, or any add-ons jump to a new major release like going from 2.0.x to 2.1.x
Thats only for official addons, created by WoltLab and not third party. Its up to the third party to setup a license structure to there liking.

WBB does indeed have a 'special' kind a license structure like you noticed:
Paying for 4.2.x gives you two year free updates, without any new costs. But it does not give you a license for 4.3.x, which you will have to pay for again, though pretty low, i think about 40$.

So thats about 40$ every two years..

Plugin/Addon Costs

1) Should not be that hard, just redirect the old url style to the new one: <domain.tld/topic/<topic ID>-<topic title/>, same with board structure.
2.WBB offers CLI conversion, at commandline level, beter for big boards.
3. Clean urls by default.
4. Mobile out of the box, no addon needed!
5. Styles, have a look at https://www.cls-design.com/shop/index.php/Category/ for example
6. The most addons are free, the one to pay are pretty cheap, rarely exceed 10 €
7. WBB has decent support

I think dtdesign can awnser beter if it comes to wbb :)

GTB

Tazmanian
Thats only for official addons, created by WoltLab and not third party.
Yes I know, that is what I meant official WoltLab products.

Paying for 4.2.x gives you two year free updates, without any new costs. But it does not give you a license for 4.3.x, which you will have to pay for again, though pretty low, i think about 40$.

So thats about 40$ every two years..
Depends if they bring out a new branch version every year. There is no license renewal so if 4.1.x stopped at 4.1 version for 2 years it would cost you nothing extra and have access to download every 4.1.x release. But that is unlikely to happen and because they don't use yearly license renewals like XF does, there's more pressure on them needing to have a faster release cycle for them to make money off the back of each new major branch upgrades. It wouldn't pay for them to be stuck on 4.1 branch for 2 years, not the same way XenForo could because they still make money from yearly renewals regardless from "current version" with point releases that you still need an active license to download them, or so that is how I gather it works.

If WBB 4.2 only came out 3 years from now, then it would have cost me $40 in 3 years. If the cost to upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 was $40 (no idea). So not sure where you get $40 "per year" from when there is no yearly renewal fee in meantime to pay?

Last edited:

dtdesign

Developer
As already mentioned, there is no renewal fee, only new major releases (both X.y.z and x.Y.z fall under this) are not included. Yet if you decide to stick with a specific version, you can keep using it and receive full ticket support without spending any money whatsoever. Bugfix releases (x.y.Z) are always free of charge.

Each major release is supported for many years, the guaranteed period is 2 years after the release of a successor. This might sound complicated but is actually quite simple:
  • Burning Board 4.0 was released on December 12th 2013
  • Burning Board 4.1 was released on March 1st 2015
  • Support for Burning Board 4.0 is guaranteed until March 1st 2017 (release of 4.1 + 2 years)
To go even further, the current version of 4.0 is 4.0.11 and the next update (4.0.12) is scheduled to be published in the upcoming weeks. As explained above, these updates are always free which means if you bough 4.0 on December 12th 2013 you could've accessed all updates and used the ticket support for this version for the entire time and were not required to spend any extra money, this is even guaranteed until March 1st 2017, which means it is guaranteed for over 3 years.

In other words, if you decide to stick with 4.0 for whatever reason, you're not being forced to pay money for thin air.

No matter what you decide to choose you'll like it over vB 3.x, I'm sure of that.

That said, if you were a fan of vBulletin 2.x-3.x and the community that surrounded it you'll find yourself right at home with xF. My only complaint is there are more commercial add-ons now but generally they don't cost that much and are well supported. A free version usually exists as well.

JadeBlade

Adherent
No matter what you decide to choose you'll like it over vB 3.x, I'm sure of that.

That said, if you were a fan of vBulletin 2.x-3.x and the community that surrounded it you'll find yourself right at home with xF. My only complaint is there are more commercial add-ons now but generally they don't cost that much and are well supported. A free version usually exists as well.
I have noticed that about XF, although I love vBulletin 3.X

Maybe it's just nostalgia?

GTB

Tazmanian
In terms of SEO I'd say WBB is pretty good. August (this month) is the first full month I've run WBB for as we near end of it now, it was installed middle of July. In AWStats for this month now I've beaten every other month for this year when running phpBB 3.1 and the rise started in July when WBB first got installed middle of it.

See for yourself, even if my stats are not exactly impressive.

Snap1.jpg

I'm seeing traffic coming in from far more countries than listed before, keywords search term hits seems much better (more getting listed for site). Even more search engines are getting listed than before getting traffic incoming from. So the results at minute are pretty good, best month of the year or me and I've not even done much adding anything on forums to warrant the boost.

Last edited:
I have noticed that about XF, although I love vBulletin 3.X

Maybe it's just nostalgia?
It isn't, commercial add-ons were never allowed on vBulletin.org because we feared it would cause many to go commercial. XenForo allows them to be listed a long side of the free ones, and people just seem less inclined to release free/open source add-ons now a days. This is common among most major forum software now, we just live in different times.

JadeBlade

Adherent
It isn't, commercial add-ons were never allowed on vBulletin.org because we feared it would cause many to go commercial. XenForo allows them to be listed a long side of the free ones, and people just seem less inclined to release free/open source add-ons now a days. This is common among most major forum software now, we just live in different times.
Honestly, I've been considering using vB 3.X for my forum choice simply because I love the feel. Although, that may be suicide.

I'd say use what you like.

dtdesign

Developer
Our Plugin-Store has a few advantages over XenForo.com's approach:
  • Every submitted files is manually checked by a staff member, this includes checks for common security issues (such as XSS) and other potential problems
  • Call-home functions or any other comparable functions are strictly forbidden and such submissions will be immediately rejected
  • All payments are processed by us, at no time will you make payments on 3rd party websites
  • All files are hosted by us, no matter if the vendor's own page has issues, the downloads will remain available

greatestmj

Aspirant
Our Plugin-Store has a few advantages over XenForo.com's approach:
  • Every submitted files is manually checked by a staff member, this includes checks for common security issues (such as XSS) and other potential problems
  • Call-home functions or any other comparable functions are strictly forbidden and such submissions will be immediately rejected
  • All payments are processed by us, at no time will you make payments on 3rd party websites
  • All files are hosted by us, no matter if the vendor's own page has issues, the downloads will remain available
That is good to hear. :)

I have a question about support.

What is the best way to get support in Woltbb? Forum or there is some tickets question. My Pre sales thread is still pending a reply, 22 hours gone. I was seeing some Help Threads on BB 4.1. They are unanswered for days. One guy wanted to know about thread reply button, its unanswered since Tuesday. So I was wondering how the support is and how quick one gets the help. We usually very rarely ask for help, but in forums, they are often an urgent help requirement.

Is Support slower in WoltBB? Coz Xenforo forums are very active and threads are replied fast. My pre sales question was already answered within minutes and discussion was over. While on Woltbb, no answer in 22hrs in pre sales thread.

Apart from this, the software is amazing, no questions there.

dtdesign

Developer
What is the best way to get support in Woltbb? Forum or there is some tickets question.
Official support is available through the ticket system only, we are active on our forums but most help will be provided by other customers.

My Pre sales thread is still pending a reply, 22 hours gone.
That's a bit odd, usually threads get answered within hours even off-hours. I'll see what I can do.

greatestmj

Aspirant
Official support is available through the ticket system only, we are active on our forums but most help will be provided by other customers.

That's a bit odd, usually threads get answered within hours even off-hours. I'll see what I can do.
So basically the ticket support is quick? And that would be the best way to ask for support. Is the forum less active because of less English speaking users?

Is Support slower in WoltBB? Coz Xenforo forums are very active and threads are replied fast. My pre sales question was already answered within minutes and discussion was over. While on Woltbb, no answer in 22hrs in pre sales thread.
The Burning Board developers and most of their users are German so that is where you'll see the most activity on their forums. There aren't has many English speaking users so that side of the official forum as never been as active. From what I know ticket support in English is pretty good but I'm not a customer myself.

dtdesign

Developer
So basically the ticket support is quick? And that would be the best way to ask for support. Is the forum less active because of less English speaking users?
The majority of our customers is German and people usually tend to use their native language to communicate, therefore the primarily English user base is smaller. Ticket support is available in English, we have a full English documentation for the software and even the entire source code is in English (you won't find a single German term :D).

Anyway, there are a lot of German customers who are able to understand and write in English and provide help for others, so in most cases there will be always someone who can provide you with help. Every once in a while there are questions that other customers cannot answer regardless of the language, in these cases it's easier to write a ticket where you'll receive a guaranteed response from us.

PS: I've answered your thread, I'm afraid but I was told to handle your questions because they're primarily technical ones. Yet I managed to completely missed this and in return failed to answer your thread, I'm sorry about that, all my fault.

GTB

Tazmanian
I will not list all the things why
What are the reasons why you say that? Do you own a WBB license, have you used it? As I see you offer XenForo services.

I've avoided saying go with one or the other on purpose, even though I've used both of them. I'd sooner the person make their own choice. But to jump in and say go with one and then say you'll not give any reasons why is a bit... Meh.

Last edited:

Dan18

Fan
Yes I tried WBB using the Beta Release.
I think WBB is fine for small board.
I don't see much Large Forum using it.