Building a little personal community around a blog

hari

Tazmanian
Been a long time since I’ve been on TAZ. :) Been ages since I’ve owned or managed a forum community. Still I have maintained an online presence at my blog at harishankar.org.

Recently decided to revive my blogging efforts at https://Harishankar.net

It’s fun restarting active blogging after a long time though there is very little community around blogging these days. Is it still possible to build a small network of followers using blogs? I’ve tried posting my blog updates in Facebook and Twitter but so far no comments on my blog from friends or family. I do get comments on WhatsApp but that doesn’t translate into comments on the blog itself.

so is it still possible to build a blogging community network like the old days? I’m not looking to make money or anything like that at this time though.

Bengie

Aspirant
Hi hari,
Can you tell me why you have moved from .org to .net please ?

This is just out of interest.

hari

Tazmanian
Hi hari,
Can you tell me why you have moved from .org to .net please ?

This is just out of interest.
Long back I had both the .org and .net domains registered. I host my e-mail on the .net domain and the .net domain earlier redirected to .org website.
To cut a long story short, different parts of harishankar.org was fully coded by hand with a mix of PHP, HTML and custom site generator scripts I had cooked up over a period of time. I had initially used WordPress from 2005 to 2008, moved to b2evolution and finally shifted the entire blog to my self-created PHP coded blog (with a full-fledged admin panel and commenting system too). All other sections of my site also used custom (though simpler) PHP scripts and generated HTML (again using static site generator scripts I had hand-coded in Python 2).

Fast forward to 2020. I was finding maintaining custom PHP code to be compatible with the latest PHP versions increasingly a chore. Moreover my Python 2.x scripts needed to be updated to Python 3.x to once again work properly. Too much hassle. So I decided to start a fresh and simple blog site using WordPress and used the .net domain name instead of registering a new site. I wanted to preserve my old site as an archive at harishankar.org so simply removed the redirection and placed a new webroot for the .net version.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
Been a long time since I’ve been on TAZ. :) Been ages since I’ve owned or managed a forum community. Still I have maintained an online presence at my blog at harishankar.org.

Recently decided to revive my blogging efforts at https://Harishankar.net

It’s fun restarting active blogging after a long time though there is very little community around blogging these days. Is it still possible to build a small network of followers using blogs? I’ve tried posting my blog updates in Facebook and Twitter but so far no comments on my blog from friends or family. I do get comments on WhatsApp but that doesn’t translate into comments on the blog itself.

so is it still possible to build a blogging community network like the old days? I’m not looking to make money or anything like that at this time though.
Hari!!
Good seeing you back !
:)

gogo

hari

Tazmanian
Hari!!
Good seeing you back !

gogo

Hi, gogoblender! Glad to see familiar names on this forum. It has been a loong time and I've been away from forums (with a few exceptions) in the last 10 years or so.

And I just found that TAZ has also changed ownership a while ago. :eek:

hari

Tazmanian
Wait, I have two logins in TAZ? I don't remember creating two accounts, it's been so long.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Wait, I have two logins in TAZ? I don't remember creating two accounts, it's been so long.

This could be because TAZ has integrated other forums of which you may have been a member. We can probably merge the two accounts if you wish.

Anyway, welcome back :)

hari

Tazmanian
This could be because TAZ has integrated other forums of which you may have been a member. We can probably merge the two accounts if you wish.

Anyway, welcome back :)
Thanks that would be cool. Both accounts can be merged into “hari”.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Thanks that would be cool. Both accounts can be merged into “hari”.

This has now been done. Everything should work as expected but let me know if you experience any issues :)

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
Hari, I like your community about coming from a blog
My friend https://www.ladymarielle.com/ started from small for her mommy children blog... in retrospect..it makes sense... she just kept putting out content and still never stops

candle seller
mommy blogger
blogging
more blogging
networking with other bloggers
companys like toys r us reaching out to her for endorsements
more blogging
more bloggin
more companys paying cash to be metionned on her blog
networked out to instagram
Instagram is indelibly part of her ladymarielle blogging operations
its kind of how she became so successful

gogo

hari

Tazmanian
Hari, I like your community about coming from a blog
My friend https://www.ladymarielle.com/ started from small for her mommy children blog... in retrospect..it makes sense... she just kept putting out content and still never stops

candle seller
mommy blogger
blogging
more blogging
networking with other bloggers
companys like toys r us reaching out to her for endorsements
more blogging
more bloggin
more companys paying cash to be metionned on her blog
networked out to instagram
Instagram is indelibly part of her ladymarielle blogging operations
its kind of how she became so successful

gogo
That's a good success story. :tup:

My ambition is a bit more limited. I am not looking to make money at this stage. Seems like it would be a lot of effort. My primary aim now is to build a dedicated readership for my blog and who will participate actively in the comments section. Part of the problem is that I get likes on social media when I share the article, and comments on WhatsApp groups but not much on the blog. I am wondering how to get people off social media and comment on the blog itself, where it can be preserved as part of the conversation.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
people only follow what interests them
content
if you believe you can create content daily, there's your lure
;)

gogo