Build Your Site : Creating Friendly Forms

gthelp.com

Enthusiast
gthelp.com submitted a new Article:

Build Your Site : Creating Friendly Forms

Don't you hate it when a form is accepted without proper checks?
Don't you hate it when an error message comes up on a different page?
Don't you hate it when you are instructed to go "back" to fill a required field?
Don't you hate it when you have to guess what is a "required" field?

This is just a short list of what people go thru on a daily basis.

You have accepted this as a norm. You have become immune to these errors.

This article is about creating a user-friendly form. This is about the form interface. We will not be talking about coding practices in this article.

Don't you hate it when a form is accepted without proper checks?
I see this a lot. The form is thanking you for submitting your information. In some instances, the form will provide you with a "Thank You" and the information you submitted. This is good but it's to late. It was already sent with the wrong information! How about the forms that do not provide you with your "submitted" information? How sure are you that the information entered is accurate?

A form's input should be clearly defined. ie. 03/03/2003, 20 characters only, xxx-xxx-xxxx
A form's input should be checked on "Submit".
Submitted information should be rendered to individual or emailed.

Don't you hate it when an error message comes up on a different page?
Aaaarrrggghh! Don't you hate it when this happens. You submit the form and are notified that you have an error. The worst thing that can happen (and it does) is that you have to guess where the error is located.

What's wrong with having the error appear on the same page?

Don't you hate it when you are instructed to go "back" to fill a required field?
What's so bad about this?

This is giving you one more step to complete your task. Just think of how much time you could have saved if you knew firsthand what was 'required'!

Errors should appear on same page of form.
Errors should be defined. (ie. "Password only consists of 0-9; a-z; 10) characters long"
Errors should be visible. (ie. Bold red color, error icon)
The best form of error checking is a combination of server-side and JavaScript (alert). (Server-side in case visitor is browsing with JavaScript disabled.)

Don't you hate it when you have to guess what is a "required" field?
Not to long ago I was at a site that...​

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

worldwords

Neophyte
What I hate the most

What irritates me more than anything in a sign-up page of any type is when you make some type of error, you go back to correct it, and everything you've typed has disappeared. You have to start over for one small mistake. Makes you feel as if you've entered Dante's hell.

Libertate

Devotee
Incorrect e-mail validation.

e-mails of name_@domain.tld format are valid. A lot of pages refuse emails where the user mailbox ends with an underscore (_).

Last edited: