Bub Club Parenting Community - Featured Forum - [Big Boards]

Kathy

Tazmanian Veteran
This featured forum is a parenting website with a large community.

Congrats on your success! Read on for their details:

FORUM BASICS:
What is the name of your website and a brief description of the theme/topic of the forums. What is the url?

Bub Club Parenting Community, we are a parenting support community.

http://www.bubclub.com

List some of the most popular forums and describe its discussions.

Pregnancy Talk, News & Events, Getting to Know You

What prompted you to start your forum? What was your launch date?

We launched in Jun 2004. We wanted to reduce isolation for parents/parents-to-be in this new world where people don't live in villiages no more. We found that most parents need a place to get support where they don't want to ask their "usual" support people (family, friends). We wanted a place where parents can meet other parents (through organised meets) and grow friendships with similar aged children, situations etc.

Do you have any special forum features or activities?

I have custom developed a few cool things like: Footy Tipping, Tickers, Horoscopes

SOFTWARE:
Which software do you use for your forums?

vBulletin 3.8 (we used to use phpBB2 with CH mod)

Do you use any add-ons scripts to enhance your site? Which ones?

Too many to list here ;) We use vbadvanced

HARDWARE:
What is your current server set-up? Do you have multiple servers for your big board forum? Who manages your servers?

Single server, I manage the whole show.

MEMBERS:
Membership stats? How many members?

3,320 members. 465,493 posts

What are the demographics of your site? (Percentage of men, women, age groups, locality related)

Mainly female - all over Australia and some members in New Zealand, Malaysia/Singapore, South Africa, USA, Canada and the UK

STAFF:
Tell us a about your staff including how many admins (and their functions), moderators, mentors, web-developers, etc. Explain how your staff is organized.

2 Admins, 3 Mods - and I'm the web developer. We have moderator guides and we chat regularly about the site.

REVENUE:
How do you generate revenue to cover your expenses? (Ecommerce, subscriptions, advertising, affiliate links, etc)

At the moment we dont - we'd like to explore this.

Do you offer upgraded members groups for a fee? What benefits do they get for subscribing/upgrading?

No.

ADMIN:
What is your name?

Randal

Please share a few things about yourself. (Bio, family, education, background, hobbies, your favorite pizza topping, your favorite vacation spot, your choice of transportation, etc)

I run an IT business, and have been in the IT industry for 20 years. I love camping & 4WD'ing - and my BMW!

How do you spend a typical day as admin on your site? What do you enjoy about your job as admin of your site/forums? Do you office in your home or in a separate office space away from your house?

Office in home. I check the site usually from morning to sleep time. I spend a lot of time trying to create ideas for posts and topics/articles.

What has been the biggest obstacle you have faced in starting or running your forums? How did you/do you handle it?

Keeping the site interesting, keeping the traffic/activitiy flowing. Handling member issues.

What 3 things have helped your forums to be a success?

1. Coffee
  2. My knowledge of php & mysql
  3. My wife

Rizzo

Adherent
I tried to sign up but got this error message.

Warning: require_once(mailchimp/MCAPI.class.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [path]/register.php(522) : eval()'d code on line 1

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'mailchimp/MCAPI.class.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /var/bcvb/register.php(522) : eval()'d code on line 1

Tori

Aspirant
Hey! I've been a member of that forum for many years now, although I don't post as frequently as I did before. Glad to see it's still up and running! Well done! :)