Brief review of Adsense Auto Ads

Some of you may have seen that Adsense has Auto Ads now. Basically this is a script you put on a page, and Google decides where to put the ads, what shape, and how many.

Link to announcement: https://adsense.googleblog.com/2018/02/introducing-adsense-auto-ads.html

I decided to give it a whirl, removed all my Adsense ads, and put in the Auto Ads code. Revenue is up, placements seem okay, and the number of ads are not excessive IMO.

I did notice that on my mobile site, there are way more ads than I had before. But somehow on mobile, it doesn't seem bad, and the ads are spread out well.

By default, there are a whole bunch of ad types enabled, including some Vignette ads and sticky ads on mobile. I find those very annoying, personally, so I turned off those ad types as shown below:

autoads.png

Pros:
  • Makes it incredibly easy to put more ads on pages with more content and less ads on pages with less content
  • No need to figure out your ad sizes and placements. Google does it for you.
  • Can be used alongside other Adsense ads. It knows that those ads are there and works around them, taking them into account.

Cons:
  • Very little customization possible. For example, I don't want it to use header ads on certain pages where I've already sold the header inventory. The only way to avoid it is to not use Auto Ads on those pages.
  • No way to know if Google Search will penalize people who use it. Sometimes the number of ads on mobile seems high.
  • Some of the ad types are shady IMO (although you can turn them off).

Summary: I like it and plan to keep using it.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
My first concern would be if I can not show it to particular usergroups. Maybe with conditionals?

My second would be if the ads are stepping over other ads, ie other ad networks and sold ads

Solidus

Stupid machines!
I only use it to implement vignette and anchor ads. Never noticed much improvement letting Google do all the work.
I now use Ezoic to run tests and find the best placements and options for my ads.

Solidus

Stupid machines!
My first concern would be if I can not show it to particular usergroups. Maybe with conditionals?

My second would be if the ads are stepping over other ads, ie other ad networks and sold ads
Conditionals work, yes.
The placement is smart, avoiding stacking next to your own ad placements in my experience.

Conditionals work, yes.
The placement is smart, avoiding stacking next to your own ad placements in my experience.
I can attest to both of these statements as well.

Currently I use Ads Manager by Siropu, which makes it very easy to do the conditionals. Here is my settings page for this particular ad:

adman.png

dethfire

Habitué
Auto ads display and text links is terrible for me. It breaks the layout and puts ads in terrible spots.

GoingRight

Enthusiast
Some of you may have seen that Adsense has Auto Ads now. Basically this is a script you put on a page, and Google decides where to put the ads, what shape, and how many.

Link to announcement: https://adsense.googleblog.com/2018/02/introducing-adsense-auto-ads.html

I decided to give it a whirl, removed all my Adsense ads, and put in the Auto Ads code. Revenue is up, placements seem okay, and the number of ads are not excessive IMO.

I did notice that on my mobile site, there are way more ads than I had before. But somehow on mobile, it doesn't seem bad, and the ads are spread out well.

By default, there are a whole bunch of ad types enabled, including some Vignette ads and sticky ads on mobile. I find those very annoying, personally, so I turned off those ad types as shown below:

View attachment 50272

Pros:
  • Makes it incredibly easy to put more ads on pages with more content and less ads on pages with less content
  • No need to figure out your ad sizes and placements. Google does it for you.
  • Can be used alongside other Adsense ads. It knows that those ads are there and works around them, taking them into account.

Cons:
  • Very little customization possible. For example, I don't want it to use header ads on certain pages where I've already sold the header inventory. The only way to avoid it is to not use Auto Ads on those pages.
  • No way to know if Google Search will penalize people who use it. Sometimes the number of ads on mobile seems high.
  • Some of the ad types are shady IMO (although you can turn them off).

Summary: I like it and plan to keep using it.
Are you sticking with it? We have been hesitant to include vignettes, seems bad for user experience. Though our adsense has been tanking over the past month. Would love to see how it looks with Xenforo. Care to share your site?

Are you sticking with it? We have been hesitant to include vignettes, seems bad for user experience. Though our adsense has been tanking over the past month. Would love to see how it looks with Xenforo. Care to share your site?
I changed to an ad management company so am not using Adsense any more. But when I was using Auto Ads, I had vignettes disabled since I too felt they were bad for user experience.

GoingRight

Enthusiast
I changed to an ad management company so am not using Adsense any more. But when I was using Auto Ads, I had vignettes disabled since I too felt they were bad for user experience.
Do you have recommendation for ad management company? Most of the reputable ones I have found seem to not do forums.

I haven't been using the current one long enough to recommend them. For example, I haven't gotten my first payment yet.

jora

Aspirant

I think it's possible, all it takes is a few line in the footer template, so while I haven't tested, wrapping these lines with an usergroup conditional should work.

jora

Aspirant
Tested it, and while it's a major improvement, don't expect it to always find the best ad placements.
It's trying to not break your layout and find some safe placements, so it will most certainly struggle on non-stock, modern frameless layouts.

Nobody knows better than you which part of your page gets the most attention and how to put the ad efficiently.

I would recommend only if you use some stock stuff and feel too inexperienced or lazy to figure out the best ad placements yourself.

Optic

Enthusiast
I have personally found it works really well on my WP blog. It picks sensible locations (e.g. in-between posts, before/after headings) and automatically adds the appropriate mobile overlay ads gracefully which aren't intrusive...

I haven't yet tried it on a forum.

jora

Aspirant
I ended removing auto ads.

It was breaking the layout of non-stock pages. And I'm having issues contacting google to get them to fix it. (They answered that I emailed the wrong service and pointed me to their forum *facepalm*) So again I wouldn't recommend it on any non-stock page. It will make your users install adblock.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
when i seen the auto ads i really thought they were for automobiles

fixer

I'm In My Prime
i really like the mobile ads , wish i could get a code to just run them ,

on wordpress sites the auto code sticks giant ads everywhere